How I can make a script of my PHP code to work even if my website is not running?

r-soy
Go to solution Solved by NotionCommotion,

I want to execute php code  each 24 hours like scheduling tasks and cornTab on Linux and Unix.

Or for example to update the content of website, to remove expired articles, to send email on a given date and... etc.

I hope you got it 

thanks 

How I can explain that !!!

For example :  You have  4 members you want everyday send to them a text such ( hello ! ) without enter your website some job ruining all the time . 

Another example :  You have Button in your page, and if you click that Button will send a text to users, but I don't want to click that Button I want each 24 hours that text sending to users no need to click the Button  

in another words ( I have quiz page and every day I send the questions of that day by clicking a button but actually I want this task to be done automatically by the page itself ) 

• Solution

r-soy,

The PHP script has to be located on a server which is running PHP.

For timing, you could use a cron job as you indicated.

To initiate the PHP script on the same server as the cron program, use something like /usr/local/bin/php -q /path/to/your/file/under/the/html/root/script.php.

If it is on a different server, you can use curl(), but you need some password authentication because it is publicly assessable.

When the PHP script is executed, it could check a database to see if anything is slated to go out, or do whatever you want it to do.

Which part do you need more information?

Edited by NotionCommotion

The question was 'are you wanting to run this on your server or on your client?". Perfectly legitimate when you said "when your website is not running", whatever that means.

A cron job is certainly a simple and easy way to do what you want. But you didn't answer my question, so I didn't know if a Cron job was even possible since I chose to assume you meant your server was down.

What does "website is not running" even mean?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.