Discover true IP

asmith

hey guys

i was reading about ip for a while, and i used

<?php
$a = getenv(REMOTE_ADDR);
echo $a;
?>

for finding what ip i'm using.I tried a program, which changes the ip...

the thing i faced is, while i got my ip changed, i checked the new one on that code and i saw it changed.

then i tested that on my friend vbulletin forum, and that forum detected recorded my original ip. again on some business site ( can't remember) at the bottom of the page it said :  your ip is detected as -my original ip. 

i wonder how they get the original ip, any kind of coding for it ?

thanks

i tried this program :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freegate

didn't want to mention such program for i dunno some kinda of rules everywhere but good for some information.

How is this program changing your external IP? Aren't they issued by your ISP?

yes it is, but without it sometimes you can't get what you find.

out of interest, for example the word "hot" is filtered, so you can't search for hot domain, hot php codes, anything related to this word,  hot tea ;)

btw,  on one site i remember it was the first time , and it had said my ip is -the original- . while the freegate was on and that code i had written was showing the new ip.

any idea? (i found it so intresting)

so why this :

<?php
$a = getenv(REMOTE_ADDR);
echo $a;
?>

shows the changed ip ?

Because that is the IP that the request is coming from. You are requesting it from the proxy, the proxy is requesting it from the script, the script returns it to the proxy and the proxy returns it to you.

EDIT: vB likely shows your actual IP rather than the proxies as there are plug-ins available (or it might be standard now) that can detect proxies and trace the original IP.

EDIT: vB likely shows your actual IP rather than the proxies as there are plug-ins available (or it might be standard now) that can detect proxies and trace the original IP.

i'm really sorry, got no idea what is vB. what is it? do a google search , i did "vB ip" , it showing about function in visual basic that gets the ip, is that what you meant?

You can't -- that's how proxies work.  If you're behind a firewall, your internal/private IP is not visible to the outside world.

so that'll take us to the first place.

then i tested that on my friend vbulletin forum, and that forum detected recorded my original ip.

i'm really sorry, got no idea what is vB. what is it? do a google search , i did "vB ip" , it showing about function in visual basic that gets the ip, is that what you meant?

vB == vBulletin

You might want to read this - http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php?topic=114669.0

There are two types of proxies, anonymous (ones that don't want you to know they are proxies, nor who they are forwarding requests for) and non-anonymous (ones that do want you to know they are proxies and they want you to know who they are forwarding request for.)

For a non-anonymous proxy, you will typically receive the HTTP_FORWARDED_FOR header. For an anonymous proxy, you won't receive any overt information that indicates the request came from a proxy.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.