div not looking in IE6 (OK in FF and IE7)

jakeoh

Hi all,

When I look at the following page: www.beta.mespetits.com

The login bar underneath the navigation looks good in FF and IE7, but there is a problem for which I cannot find a solution in IE6. Does anyone has an idea what the problem may be? (Well the problem seems to be IE6, but is there a tweak to fix this?)

don't support IE6 anymore. As simple as that. The only way IE6 will die out, is if developers learn to just "smartly ignore" a browser. - I don't mean completely forget about IE6, but don't try to support details and minor effects for the browser.

Consider the above advice something that can be applied to all developers.

Anyway, your website log in doesn't work in FF, latest updated version, service pack 2 XP, screen 1280 resolution....  :-\

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. I would obviously like to ignore IE6, but then again there are still too many (lazy) persons that use it, so I cannot just leave it that way. If someone can find a way to tweak the page so that it looks ok in IE6, I'll be delighted.

What do you mean the log in doesn't work? It's currently being developed, so it's normal it's not really functional yet, but I am curious as to what you are referring to.

don't support IE6 anymore. As simple as that. The only way IE6 will die out, is if developers learn to just "smartly ignore" a browser. - I don't mean completely forget about IE6, but don't try to support details and minor effects for the browser.

Eventually this will be adopted by all developers ... unfortunately, it is still way too early. We all only just stopped targeting IE 5 within the past year or so.

IE6 still has legs for AT LEAST another 2 years.

We are all looking forward to seeing how honest and committed MS is about their intent of making IE8 100% CSS2 Spec compliant (leave it to MS to say instead of just being standards compliant they are going to try to be one of the first modern browsers to be literally CSS2 spec compliant ... I'll believe it when I see it).

Should IE8 live up to its promise, you will see developers dropping IE6 sooner rather than later.

Eventually this will be adopted by all developers ... unfortunately, it is still way too early. We all only just stopped targeting IE 5 within the past year or so.

IE6 still has legs for AT LEAST another 2 years.

We are all looking forward to seeing how honest and committed MS is about their intent of making IE8 100% CSS2 Spec compliant (leave it to MS to say instead of just being standards compliant they are going to try to be one of the first modern browsers to be literally CSS2 spec compliant ... I'll believe it when I see it).

Should IE8 live up to its promise, you will see developers dropping IE6 sooner rather than later.

I guess you are right. The main problem with getting people to upgrade to IE7 is that they need XP service pack 2. So windows 98 or XP service pack 1 will not support IE7. Most people don't know how to upgrade and thus wouldn't upgrade - they wouldn't bother getting FF either.  :-\

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.