language, how to change

DeanWhitehouse

i just, need it so that the site is translated to another language if the viewer selects it.

For example i will have a link and they can click it to change the site into there russian, and then they can click it to change it to english , i will use sessions to save this change for them, and i am going to have the link dynamic. e.g. ?lang=eng

when did i mention CMS??

i just, need it so that the site is translated to another language if the viewer selects it.

For example i will have a link and they can click it to change the site into there russian, and then they can click it to change it to english , i will use sessions to save this change for them, and i am going to have the link dynamic. e.g. ?lang=eng

when did i mention CMS??

"i don't want it to change the stuff in the database". i assumed you have DYNAMIC content in a database that is displayed on the site. if not, the content is STATIC. there is a major difference between translating dynamic vs. static content.

okay, so it's what I'd call a content management system. regardless, it sounds like you will change the content and, therefore, the content must be translated whenever you do.

switching between languages is the easy part. translating dynamic content is much more difficult.

i can think of 2 options: manually update content for each language, or locate a translation engine API that provides the ability to do it automatically (if there is such a thing.) i don't know enough of anything but English to translate anything, but if you know multiple languages, you could translate manually. otherwise, I would look for a translation engine that allows you to send text to it for translation and then returns the translated text. if found, you could use it to translate content as it's updated, or do it on the fly as different content is accessed by visitors using different languages.

ok,

what about this then,

two files ,one called eng.php and rus.php

each file contains the variables for the page but in different languages, e.g.

eng.php

$pagecontent = "content";

rus.php

$pagecontent = "rusian_for_content";

and on the page this is echoed,

echo "$pagecontent";

i could just have an if for the require_once code

yer??

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.