Community system name

cordoprod

Most people try to pick a name that somehow represents the type of community/product/etc..I bet people might be able to better make suggestions if you told us a little bit about your community system/goals.

It's a bit like facebook.

You can add friends, guestbook, all that kind of stuff.. visit each others profile.

How about 'Old hat'? Or maybe 'Beaten horse'?

:D brilliant

Seriously though, what does your site do differently? Perhaps you could base your name on that.

I agree. Also, not only can you base it off unique features of your site, or what your site does, you can also base it on your user-base, or intended user base. This site is an example - PHPFreaks. Think of 'bored.com' too - lots of games and videos, etc for those just doing some lazy surfing.

try and avoid any cliches or obvious rip-offs. you need to be unique. myspace, facebook, etc - they've been done. so stuff like myface or facespace or faceplace are rubbish (unless you just want to set up one of those dumb holding pages). even obvious ones like missing the last 'e' out, or whatever, like 'Flickr' - it's been done now, so avoid. It just makes you look cheesy.

With all that said, it really isn't important to name your site or buy the domain until everything you need is planned out in detail, or maybe not even until the site's been finished and almost ready for go-live. Maybe once you actually see it running and play with it, or you get some friends to test it, you'll have a better idea for a name.

no offense cordoprod, but your response to mine was almost as if you dismissed it without reading - and now i'm starting to sort of wonder if there's a difference between you asking for someone to supply you with a name and someone supplying you with your ideas for you. considering you'd be the one making the big bucks off it should it take off, i'm sure you can see why i'm personally not really keen on sharing ideas or names. chances are - if i find a name that's good, i'll take it for myself. good domain names are hard to come by these days...

additionally, site names are very personal and specific to a project/person/company so it's probably better you try and come up with a name yourself. take my previous advice, if you like.

Yeah, but it's a community system, most for teenagers..

They don't know anything about that..

Maybe something with net in, or web.

Like netlog or webtown (not very much like webtown cus' there is a community system called nettby which means webtown in norwegian.)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.