Legalities of using a company name as a domain?

deadonarrival

Just a quick question, any detail at any level would be great!

If I were to set up a forum www.cambridgeafc.net, what are the legalities of me using that domain for a supporters forum and unofficial fan site?

Do Cambridge AFC have any right to demand the domain be given/sold to them, or does it fall under the fair use clause of copyright law.

So basically, do I have to give them the domain, or if not, are there any restrictions as to what I can do with it?

(This is directly applicable to UK law, but any other input would be grand - also, I have no idea if Cambridge AFC exist, but I don't want to mention the actual club given the situation)

Thanks in advance :)

if its an unoficial fan site it is ok :) i do have a lot of site fans and i have no problem,dont forget to use TM and its better to not use the name of the company as a site name  8)

they cant take any leggal actions again you if is just talking and not sharing illegal material.

If "Cambridge AFC" is a widely known organization, and you make a website "www.cambridgeafc.net", you may be in violation of copyright and/or trademark laws. It's not difficult at all to imagine consumer confusion between your website and the actual "Cambridge AFC" website, and the plausibility of "consumer confusion" is usually what determines these things. However, since you are referencing the actual "Cambridge AFC" and not a completely different organization with the same name, I suspect that copyright laws may (may - I am no lawyer) be less applicable than trademark law. I think this would certainly qualify as an unlawful use of a trademark.

But in either case, I would advise using a different name - one that doesn't promote such uncertainty.

Fan sites are also grey-areas, falling under the "Why bite the hand that feeds?" unwritten rule of how not to massively piss off your fans.  No fans = no club.

As Daniel said - get permission first, but I really can't see the issue. In effect, if your site is completely dedicated to the club, they're getting a site and exposure for free.

If it was me personally - I'd register the domain first, ask questions later, then build the website once you've got the thumbs up.

on the other hand - pop the name of a football team into google, followed by "fan site". You'll see domains referencing famous things regarding the club without actually mentioning the club itself. For example - I'm sure you can guess which club the following fansites are dedicated to:

www.redandwhitekop.com

www.thisisanfield.com

www.lfconline.com

www.koptalk.com

www.anfield-online.co.uk

www.ynwa.tv

etc etc

We already have the domain, the board are being a bit of a pain.

There was originally a fansite and forum, which went offline. At that time the club started to make their own official site, and members of the original forum started a new forum, and a fansite to go with it.

The argument of the club is that we'll detract from their visitors and therefore revenue.

My argument is that the website performs a completely different purpose, it will only contain results/game stats and no/very little content shared with the official site... basically I'd hardly be stealing their visitors, since they can't find that info on my site. The forum is the bread and butter of the site, somewhere unconnected with the club for the fans to say (within reason) what they like about the club. "Iko Sun is a commie bastard" I won't allow, but "Todd Fletcher played an awful game, I blame the way the manager played him" won't recieve an instant ban for badmouthing Mr Manager.

Anyway, I'll probably make the site - we can always switch domains later if the club take it too far, but the "bite the hand that feeds you" applies pretty well... thanks :)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.