Taking online payments

dmccabe

I run a website which has a "Donate to us" button on it which allows you to donate through paypal.

However a few people have told me they dont like paypal is there another way to donate.

I dont want to start handing out my bank details for bank transfer donations, so what is the best way?

However a few people have told me they dont like paypal

Not saying Paypal is great, but I normally hear that one when people actually don't want to donate but don't have any other excuses. As a bog-standard simple interface for taking donations in this fashion, there's nothing wrong with it at all - it works, it's secure and is established.

Not saying Paypal is great, but I normally hear that one when people actually don't want to donate but don't have any other excuses. As a bog-standard simple interface for taking donations in this fashion, there's nothing wrong with it at all - it works, it's secure and is established.

QFT

Get a business account.  I've used my CC on several places like walmart.com, newegg.com, adamandeve.com, etc.. and I don't recall ever seeing any kind of "useful" info on my bank statement.

Not trying to be funny, but I wasnt actually after a debate as to whether Paypal was great or not.

The person trying to donate is doing so of their own free will as a thanks for help they got on my site, so it isnt an excuse as I never asked them to donate, however they have an old paypal account they dont use any more and now when they try and donate through paypal just entering their CC details they get the message that the card is already associated with a Paypal account and they can go no further.

:(

when they try and donate through paypal just entering their CC details they get the message that the card is already associated with a Paypal account and they can go no further.

hmm...paypal does that? At best, that sounds not very convenient.  There's no reason you shouldn't be able to have multiple accounts sharing the same card number.  People do that all the time, especially in parent/child situations.  At worst, telling someone they can't enter in a CC# because it's already associated with a paypal account seems like a security risk to me...

The only other option I see is to setup a small shopping cart with a "donate" item that they "purchase".  You could use multiple "items" with varying costs to cover different donation amounts.

when they try and donate through paypal just entering their CC details they get the message that the card is already associated with a Paypal account and they can go no further.

hmm...paypal does that? At best, that sounds not very convenient.  There's no reason you shouldn't be able to have multiple accounts sharing the same card number.  People do that all the time, especially in parent/child situations.  At worst, telling someone they can't enter in a CC# because it's already associated with a paypal account seems like a security risk to me...

I have the same problem with an old paypal account of mine that got banned for not paying fee's.  If you then try and setup another account it wont let you with the same CC details as they are associated with the other account.

For this one donation unfortunately it isnt worth setting up a shopping cart so I will just miss out on this donation.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.