Graphical mockup, feedback required.

phpzone

my opinions:

-no one would care to see your latest version.

-such static layout sites like this are not really used anymore, needs more fluidity

-wasted space with huge header/huge padding within cells

-nav tabs too big

just my 2 cents.

my opinions:

-no one would care to see your latest version.

-such static layout sites like this are not really used anymore, needs more fluidity

-wasted space with huge header/huge padding within cells

-nav tabs too big

just my 2 cents.

Appreciate the feedback.

True, latest version part is a gimmick.

I disagree that static layouts are not used, see the new bbc.co.uk.  I'm going for something that is like my wordpress site, which is in the same format.  However I was thinking of doing a switchable CSS template, so a more fliud design could be done too, point taken on board.

Anyone else?

The switchable CSS template is a good idea, bear in mind, that people with disabilitys, may have problems seeing the text on a black/dark background.

I favour a white background - This increases people's viability.

I also agree with "Jabop" there is a lot of wasted space. Why is the size of the container (black box) so big? - Does it need to be this big?

I would think more carefully about your design, so that it is available for a wide audience. Remember people have different screen resolutions, disability's etc. Views of the site also have different needs. What is the main purpose of the site? - Why will people visit? - Does you site display briefly straight away what the user could be looking for?

Hope this helps :),

Dave

Great images and backgrounds!  :D

It seems as though you were going for a more "flashier" look. The images look great and I wish I knew how to design such backgrounds myself, but when it comes to web designing you need to tone it down a bit. You aren't Picasso, go for a clean and simple look.

For instance, is the whole "navigate" box necessary? I mean it takes more than 20% of your total width.

On another note, the footer has no unity with the rest of the site. Too bright.

- TheFilmGod

This is all great feedback, thank you.

I will take all ideas on board and come back with something else, probably in working form eg. XHTML/CSS/PHP this time.

Thanks everyone, you are what makes phpfreaks so great  ;D

• 2 weeks later...

I think the rounded corners are a little dramatic.  The blue borders around the 2 boxes don't make much sense and throw off the overall balance of the site. The eye should be leading from left to right top to bottom.  I don't think the first thing someone should see is a big ad practically in the location most logos are seen. The menu is quite strange, the big empty box under the text is a pretty big waste of space even.  Even though space may not be in issue, it just seems like filler for nothing. White text on black bg is ok, but white text on grey is hard to read.  Some type of background would be nice, although it will be tough when your main content area is black.

There are far too many gradients.

This is something I notice a lot in websites.. they over use gradients and I think it just begins to look 'too shiny' thus 'tacky'.

Also, staying "PHP Zone UK" and limiting something that's worldwide to one country? There's no point in doing that.. I mean, obviously people from other countries would still go on it regardless, it's just.. I don't know, it implies there is a PHP Zone USA or something.. and makes it sound like a website chain which is pretentious and annoys me.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.