Am I under threat?

LemonInflux

I've been doing a project in my localhost for quite a while. By default, one of its functions is to log the IPs of any visitors. Of course, this has been 127.0.0.1 every time, as I am the only visitor. However, when I checked this morning, I got this IP logged:

Using who.is, I traced it back to iana.org. Their website says it's perfectly normal to see traffic from their site, and it doesn't mean I'm under any threat.

However, they managed to get into my localhost (using XAMPP btw). Does this mean anyone could? Or is this nothing to worry about?

Thanks.

Yes, if they know your IP address the port 80 is open to WAN then they can access it. What you can do is configure you firewall (either software or hardware based) to deny connections from outside your computer to that port or you can set Apache to only listen to 127.0.0.1:80.

AFAIK, the 192.168(.1) range is for network IP's. Probably a different computer in your network, or even your own using the network IP, connected to your test server.

Only if your PC is connected directly to the internet (with only a modem, not a NAT/Router) to you have to start looking at Apache config.

If your PC is so wide open that port 80 is open without you knowing about it, I would worry about other things than your test server.

The following IP addresses are reserved for internal network use only, and will not work from networks external to your own:

10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255

192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255

172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255

169.254.0.0 - 169.254.255.255 (Note that if your computer has an IP in this range, there's probably something wrong. Computers self-assign addresses in this range when they can't contact a DHCP server or can't assign themselves a valid IP.)

Since 192.168.1.45 is in one of these ranges (192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255), it must be internal. Unless you suspect you have an attacker in your local network, you are safe.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.