[SOLVED] how should i make this site??

acidglitter

i'm thinking about making a new tiny online store, but i can't decide how to make it. should i make it kind of like a regular store, just using like php and stuff? my other idea is to have the index page have most of the main coding, then have like a div and use ajax to load each separate page into a div. (hopefully this is making sense, i'm kind of distracted) the 2nd way could be really cool, but i'm worried it would depend too much on javascript and not be as search engine friendly.. what do you think?

do not use AJAX unless a) you're doing little widgets that degrade well or b) you are Google

AJAX is one of those things that sort of sounds cool in concept and is easy to do simple stuff, but really isn't for the faint-hearted to do it properly and for more advanced needs.

When you NEED ajax, use it. Else, don't bother just for the sake of it. Especially not for loading the majority of a page.

Also - IMO - the moment you start selling stuff on your site, you should really try your absolute best to:

a) leave out the fancy stuff, keep things as simple as possible

b) make it as search engine friendly as possible. Most (all?) bots do not support javascript when crawling.

c) make more-than-normal effort to get your site working on old browsers with minimal/no javascript.

d) make more-than-normal effort to get your site standards compliant and accessible.

The more people that can view and use your site, the bigger your potential market.

thanks for your reply. i'll just go with the first way now. but is it that bad of an idea to have a note like javascript must be enabled to view this site? because i am going to keep it mostly simple, but there are a few things i want to do that you can only do in javascript

in my experience, there's always an alternative to JS that can be built as a fallback, should you wish to. But so many people nowadays, with the usage of Facebook, Gmail/Google maps, etc etc are being expected to have JS turned on so how compatible you make yours for people with no JS is up to you.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.