css framework

fantomel

You should learn to code css by yourself, without any framework first. Then once you know css inside and out, then work on doing it with a framework. That way if you need to change/modify something, you'll know how to do it without much trouble

CSS is frustrating at first while you get the hang of it. But once you get the hang of it, it's actually surprisingly easy to work with. It just takes a while to get your head around the concepts involved in it.

thank you for your opinion .. i was asking about css frameworks.. because i friend told me .. that they have the hacks for ie included.. ;D

P.S i know css but i don't know where to find css hacks and how to use them... wich one i need.. that's why i asked about css frameworks :P

don't use css hacks. If you do, you're only putting a patch on the problem. And when new browsers come out that are different from their earlier versions, it could go all screwy.

and what would be the best solution to make a css hackless  ?

conditional comments.

I disagree, I've never used a conditional comment or hack with the exception of a min/max width expression for ie6, which I only did once.  Once you learn the way each browser handles the box model you can create  your css accordingly.

The key in my opinion is never to use padding on elements with fixed widths and set margins on inner elements instead of padding on the outer elements.  The box model is pretty much what gets people in trouble. I can get my css to work on all browsers without hacking it.

conditional comments.

I disagree, I've never used a conditional comment or hack with the exception of a min/max width expression for ie6, which I only did once.  Once you learn the way each browser handles the box model you can create  your css accordingly.

The key in my opinion is never to use padding on elements with fixed widths and set margins on inner elements instead of padding on the outer elements.  The box model is pretty much what gets people in trouble. I can get my css to work on all browsers without hacking it.

http://matthewjamestaylor.com/blog/perfect-3-column.htm this i found on google and yerstarday when i was looking on this forum found it in a post.. starting from that css could i use it to make diferent designs and still be the same ? i reffer to remain the perfect 3 column template on any resolution and browser.

conditional comments.

Yeah, I've had plenty of well-working designs with no hacks or conditionals. They just aren't necessary and show an impatient coder who says "I'd rather cheat my way around this issue than find out what the problem is and fix it"

conditional comments.

Although I can code css extremely well, and almost never have to use hacks / conditional statements, - I still have to say that IE is crap when it comes to the most basic stuff. Including colors. Currently, I use an  IE override CSS stylesheet to give a different color code to IE browsers (for the background).

With this in mind, I do have to question your ability to use css SO WELL that you don't EVER have to use conditional statements / override stylesheets. I do believe you, but just to see, post a link!

^ but what would we be posting a link to? I remember, to practice css, replicating the layout of a certain site and after I was finished, looked the same in all 4 major browsers. Then in check the html of the actual site, they used conditionals. That kinda threw me off..

^ but what would we be posting a link to? I remember, to practice css, replicating the layout of a certain site and after I was finished, looked the same in all 4 major browsers. Then in check the html of the actual site, they used conditionals. That kinda threw me off..

I never copy any code. - It wouldn't fit in my css framework or suit my website needs. It would simply shed some light on possibly BETTER coding techniques... which eventually might cause me to change my own coding methods!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.