electronic signature

ma5ect

there are many alternatives to signatures which is why you don't see this sort of thing very often on websites.

however - if you have a specific requirement, then you're probably going to need to do some research into DHTML (to create the client-side part) and AJAX (to send the "image" back to the server to be saved as it's being drawn). It'd guess that it'd definitely require a fair bit of work - so whether it's worth it is down to whether you really specifically need something like this or whether you can find an alternative way of getting someone's authorisation?

what are the other alternatives?? digital signatures? and there's something in dreamweaver (Adobe® Integrated Runtime (AIR)) would that also work?

no - what i'm saying is - you're asking for a signature to confirm something, right? why won't the more traditional web-based approaches work such as a 'Yes, I agree' or 'No' work? or just a simple checkbox? Why does it need to be a signature? You're topic/questions so far are incredibly vague - if you want to know more, share more.

Password? Security Question? Disclaimer refuting any responsibility for fraudulent claims made through your service?

As cool as online fingerprint recognition or signitures signatures would be for authorization I don't think its something that could be implemented just yet with available technologies. Especially the signiture signature. I don't know about you but mine changes every single time I sign and is usually just scribbles. Fingerprint recognition might be more managable but would still take a lot of resourses and a lot of work to get up and running. Plus not everyone would have fingerprint scanners on their computer.

I don't know. Basically I'm rambling but a password and disclaimer should be enough for authorization in most situations.

*edit* damnit I knew signiture looked wrong :P

ok i think i have caused a little bit of confusion.. sorry for being vague...I have a website setup where students can upload files, with uploading these files i also want them to fill out a form stating its there work (name, details etc etc) but at the bottom of the form it needs to be signed off by them..this is what am stuck with.. what could be best way to do this..

hope this clears things up...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.