What's your computer?

tibberous

I got a new laptop a couple weeks ago.

Dell XPS M1530

Intel Core 2 Duo T8300 2.4GHz

4GBs 667 RAM

NVIDIA 8600M GT (256MBs)

I'm running a dual boot setup - Vista Home (i prefer it to XP, but meh) and Ubuntu 8.04.

Actually, it's technically a triple boot, since dell include this 'media direct' pile of poo. Basically a button on the laptop that launches a media player without loading your main OS. Turns out it's a cut down version of XP. Unfortunately, it can't read any of my media since it's all stuck on an ext3 partition (read in vista with fs-driver). The media player is truly awful though, so I don't care.

"Actually, it's technically a triple boot, since dell include this 'media direct' pile of poo. Basically a button on the laptop that launches a media player without loading your main OS. Turns out it's a cut down version of XP. Unfortunately, it can't read any of my media since it's all stuck on an ext3 partition (read in vista with fs-driver). The media player is truly awful though, so I don't care."

My laptop has that crap too....  I've never used it.  Not even once.  lol

"Actually, it's technically a triple boot, since dell include this 'media direct' pile of poo. Basically a button on the laptop that launches a media player without loading your main OS. Turns out it's a cut down version of XP. Unfortunately, it can't read any of my media since it's all stuck on an ext3 partition (read in vista with fs-driver). The media player is truly awful though, so I don't care."

My laptop has that crap too....  I've never used it.  Not even once.  lol

I've read elsewhere that the media direct button can do an awful lot of damage. Apparently if it doesn't find the partition table the way it likes it, it wipes it out. Oops.

I think I actually eff-d up my Media Direct button....  Fun, eh?

Been scared to push it for about 3 months now.  Before that though, I had the laptop a long time, and I didn't like ever like the Media Direct crap.  Seemed pointless to me, except might use less battery.

I've read elsewhere that the media direct button can do an awful lot of damage. Apparently if it doesn't find the partition table the way it likes it, it wipes it out. Oops.

I've made several observations that indicate that this is normal behavior for the Media Direct button - my recommendation to the owner of the laptop was to pry the cover off and remove the actual button on the circuitry. A teeny flat-head screwdriver later, the Media Direct button was absolutely useless. The owner reports no negative side effects, and is thrilled with not having to reinstall the OS every time she misses and presses the wrong button.

I've made several observations that indicate that this is normal behavior for the Media Direct button - my recommendation to the owner of the laptop was to pry the cover off and remove the actual button on the circuitry. A teeny flat-head screwdriver later, the Media Direct button was absolutely useless. The owner reports no negative side effects, and is thrilled with not having to reinstall the OS every time she misses and presses the wrong button.

If I have to reinstall Windows, and recover some of my stuff, I will call Dell and bitch until they try to have me arrested.

Make: Dell ( :'( )

Model: Dimension E310 (  :'( )

Ram: Below yours

Video Card: Built-in 128mb crap. I can't even load BF2 (Battlefield Two)

I don't really know where to find my system specs LOOL but all I can say is...

My computer sucks. The only part that is fast is the Linux, but my internet connection is still slow.

Interestingly, my seems to be fine. When switched off, the button boots the Media Direct thing When in Ubuntu, i have it set to launch Rhythmbox. And when in vista, it launches the Media Direct thing in vista.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.