What's your computer?

tibberous

I built mine myself.

Intel Quad Core Q6600 overclocked to 3.5 gig

4 gig DDR2 (not overclocked, just with shortened timings)

500 gig SATA Hard Drive

Sonic 9600GT 512meg w/ HDMI

Whole thing was like $1000, which is in a way is kind of high, but also less than what you can spend on a video card if you really want to go all out. Whats really cool is that it's a 780i board, meaning that if it starts to suck, I can add a video card in SLI and 4 more gig of RAM.

What are you guys running?

Blerh....  Here it goes.  Chances are no one will read this.

Main computer:

Pentium D (dual core)  2.8Ghz

3GB DDR2-667 RAM (yeah, eww, I know)

500GB HDD (Two physical drives really...  4 partitions)

nVidia Geforce 8500 GT 512MB (I think)  (Works for my needs.  Not top of the line, obviously ;p)

Win Vista Home Premium (Yeah, it sucks.  A lot.  Been meaning to install XP for about a year now)

Laptop:

Pentium Core 2 Duo 1.6Ghz

1GB RAM

80GB HDD

Some ATI Radeon 128MB card that sucks

XP Home

Box sitting in the corner of my room which is forget is physically there sometimes (got it right around when XP came out by the way, so the stats are terrible):

Pentium 4 1.5Ghz

256MB RAM (No idea what speed.  Slow!)

Some 64MB video card

Fedora Core 9

Got another computer down the hall too, but I gave it to my mom, so I guess it's not technically mine anymore.

I currently own nine computers, I won't go into deep specification details as that might take a while but they are as follows:

In my office:

• AMD 64 X2 2400+ / 2GB / 4 x 80GB RAID 1+0 / 2 x Nvidia 7300 / 3 x 17" TFT / Ubuntu 8.04 Desktop
  • Intel P4 3.2Ghz / 2GB / 250GB / Nvidia 7300 / 19" TFT & 15" TFT / Windows XP Pro
  • AMD Turion 64 X2 2Ghz / 2GB / 160GB / Radion X1250 / 15.4" TFT / Windows Vista Business
  • Intel Core Duo 2Ghz / 1GB / 74GB / Intel GMA X3100 / 13" TFT / Apple OS X (Tiger)
  • AMD Opteron 1214 2.2GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Headless / Windows Vista Business

At home:

• Intel P4 2.4GHz (@3.12GHz) / 1GB / 250GB / Nvidia 5900 Ultra / 2 x 17" TFT / Ubuntu 8.04 & Windows XP Pro
  • IBM PowerPC G4 1.4Ghz / 1GB / 160GB / ATI Radeon 9200 / 1 x 17" TFT / Apple OS X (Tiger)
  • Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz / 1GB / 74GB / Intel GMA X3100 / 13" TFT / Apple OS X (Leopard)
  • AMD Athlon XP 2200+ 1.8Ghz / 1GB / 2TB / Headless / Ubuntu 8.04 Server

And yes, they are all in use!

Holy crap!

Fun mix of XP/Mac/Ubuntu by the way ;p.

I kind of would expect people on phpfreaks to have more computers than the average person.  If all of the computers in my house are counted, not just mine, we have 7....  I see a pattern.  Then again, small sample to derive a pattern from ;p.  And I guess your 9 are just yours x.x.  lol

Holy crap!

Fun mix of XP/Mac/Ubuntu by the way ;p.

I kind of would expect people on phpfreaks to have more computers than the average person.  If all of the computers in my house are counted, not just mine, we have 7....  I see a pattern.  Then again, small sample to derive a pattern from ;p.  And I guess your 9 are just yours x.x.  lol

We have five more at home that aren't mine too, hah! I always get blamed for the high power bills (might have something to do with the crap load of other electronic stuff I have too!

Technically, the five in my office are mine as I own the company - Though I only use two or three of those ones on a regular basis.

You guys have me beat for a lot of things, but mine does the job. Looking to upgrade in the near future though.

Mac Mini: OS X Leopard

Intel Core 2 Duo processor:

2.3 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

2GB RAM  DDR2-667  ( :( )

Intel GMA 950 graphics processor

120 GB IHD + 500G EHD

Have my Macbook as well. Just don't feel like writing the stats, but it's better than the mini.

Used to have a PC with some serious upgrades at the time (2-3 years ago), but I sold the parts, etc... and bought some gear to create my music :) + my laptop and mac mini

I don't really need more than these 2 with all the cross-platform software now-a-days. Spending that extra cash to keep those 2 up-to-date.

One Dell Inspiron 600m, a few years old but still running and serving my needs nicely. For mobility, there's not much better than the XXXm series.

One home-made workstation with one dual-core proc. I play an occasional game of UT 2004 or Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, so it's got sorta-basic gaming equipment.

One headless Frankenstein's Monster built from computers that I got in a neat little scam - I spread the word that I take old computers that people don't need, and they give me free hardware! :) This little beauty sits on a shelf and serves as a file, print, mail, subversion and database server, and serves copies of all of my DVD videos to my aforementioned day-to-day computers.

The laptop and workstation run Gentoo linux (my favorite), and the server runs Debian unstable. (Not one of my better decisions. They call it "unstable" for a reason, and going from unstable to stable is a gigantic pain. Also, YMMV - it just plain didn't Work For Me .) These three machines are connected with a gigabit network, and I'm finally getting the hang of centralizing my processes, so I rarely have to synchronize data between my two production computers.

I built my new computer a few months ago, I'm not much good with specs, but heres a rough idea.

Intel core2 @ 3Ghz
8G DDR2 memory
2 * 500G samsung SATA drives.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT
Debian Sid 64bit GNU/Linux with a custom openVZ patched kernel.

I can run a bunch (currently running 12) vps's on this machine without a hitch.

My old machine (Dell something)

Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
640Mg memory
320G drive
80G drive

This thing has been relegated back to the music room where it quite happily runs cubase without too many problems. I'm slowly getting back into producing electronic music.

I've also got a Toshiba laptop (about the same specs as the Dell above) an old Mac G3 that is/was running Gentoo Linux (I used to use this machine as my router/firewall, its just sitting in a cupboard now) and a few other dated PC's lying around not being used for anything.

Up until about a week ago I had 2 crappy computers and a crappy laptop. I gave the laptop to my sister-in-law for school and one of my computers died on me.  Well I think it's dead.  I'm still tryin' to mess with it. It's pretty old. Even if I do manage to fix it, it still sucks.

I built my new computer a few months ago, I'm not much good with specs, but heres a rough idea.

Intel core2 @ 3Ghz
8G DDR2 memory
2 * 500G samsung SATA drives.
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT
Debian Sid 64bit GNU/Linux with a custom openVZ patched kernel.

I can run a bunch (currently running 12) vps's on this machine without a hitch.

My old machine (Dell something)

Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
640Mg memory
320G drive
80G drive

This thing has been relegated back to the music room where it quite happily runs cubase without too many problems. I'm slowly getting back into producing electronic music.

I've also got a Toshiba laptop (about the same specs as the Dell above) an old Mac G3 that is/was running Gentoo Linux (I used to use this machine as my router/firewall, its just sitting in a cupboard now) and a few other dated PC's lying around not being used for anything.

Let me know when you release some work, I'm very interested to hear some of your new creations. I was very impressed with the one's you showed me a while back.

I'm sure it's not a 1gbps WAN conn lol.  I've just been wanting a 1Gbps LAN conn for a while....  My family moves around images and songs a lot, and video every now and then (and by them I mean I do it for them), so it gets annoying when something takes 2 hours to copy x.x.

Here is for my laptop:

Processor: Intel Core Duo 2 T7500, 2.2 GHz

Memory: 2 GB

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS

HDD: 2*160 GB @ 5400 rpm (+1 external at 750 GB)

Monitor: 17" WXGA+

Network:

- Wireless: Intel Pro 3945ABG, 54 Mbps

- Wired: Realtek something, 1 Gbps (hardly ever used)

Mouse: Logitech VX Nano

OS: Vista x64 and whatever Linux flavor that is currently installed (currently a broken Gentoo install)

Next time I get a new one I'll probably get a MacBook Pro to see if they're so good as they claim.

currently a broken Gentoo install

Gentoo should never be considered broken, just in need of service. :)

I suppose you could say that about everything then ;)

I used the 2008.0_beta2 CD for installing and it didn't work out of the box. Well, truth be told, it is Gnome that doesn't work, not Gentoo, but I still blame Gentoo because their installer didn't install a working version. 2008.0 stable has been released so I'll try that when I get time.

I still blame Gentoo because their installer didn't install a working version.

If you're having Gentoo problems and you used the automated installer to install it, it is safe to say that the problem is not in Gentoo, rather it is in the installer. I honestly don't know why they even bother to publish the automated installer.

I still blame Gentoo because their installer didn't install a working version.

If you're having Gentoo problems and you used the automated installer to install it, it is safe to say that the problem is not in Gentoo, rather it is in the installer. I honestly don't know why they even bother to publish the automated installer.

Agreed, the installer sux. I've never used it myself but have answered many questions about it in the gentoo forums. Just follow the handbook and install the traditional way.

I have:

Laptop:

Hp Pavillion dv2620

AMD Turion X2 64 TL58

160GB HD (I need to upgrade that because):

- 25GB Vista partition as C: (20GB (full)

- 40GB Data partition as D: (25-30GB full)

- 70GB XP partition as E: (50GB full)

- 25GB Fedora Core 9 partition (which I haven't managed to get added to the Vista bootloader. Even with Easy BCD ??? and I'm scared to add GRUB to my MBR)

2GB RAM.. I think 667

Dekstop:

PowerMac G3 Blue and White

350Mhz POWERPC

384MB RAM... or something like that. Maybe 352

80GB HD with a an additional 6GB HD that should be a slave but I was too lazy to reorient it in the case (it was already installed and I would have had to take it out, put the new HD in and then put it back on top) so its not hooked up.

OSX 10.2.0

20" Wide Acer Monitor :)

Current setup which is my first self build

Intel C2Duo E6400 -Overclocked @ 3.0GHz - cant get it to 3.2GHz :(

ASUS P5B Deluxe

Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS 320mb - some EVGA OC Edition

RAM: GeIL 2GB PC6400

2 x 250GB Hard Disks (1st: XP, 2nd: Vista and Ubuntu)

Monitor: 20" Samsung SyncMaster 206BW

Took me a while to get XP, Vista and Ubuntu to successfully triple boot.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.