Ridiculously Easy File Uploader

Warptweet

http://www.simple-upload.com

I developed this entire website, bought the domain, and brought it online in a matter of hours just today.

The website follows a module of simplicity in the footsteps of google.

The website is so simple, it instantly gratifies anyone who simply want's to upload a file instead of grope over sign ups, low file size limits, and useless rapidshare 30-second wait limits. Also, the design loads incredibly fast with it's simple yet elegant design. Even on a slow connection, it almost always takes less than half a second to load.

Please rate:

Simplicity - Is the website simple enough for you? Do you understand how it works?

Design - Does the design consist of logically placed parts/looks good?

Would you use this website? - How often? For what purposes?

Suggestions - Anything that makes it easier for the users. Even if it saves the user a millisecond, it's roughly a minute or two of my time to make my site that much better. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Side Notes:

Uploading an image provides you with codes to directly view the image, post it on web pages, and post it on forums for your convenience.

Uploading a .flv video will give you a button on the provided 'File Homepage' link which you may click to view the video web-based, once again for the users convenients.

Simplicity: 1.000.000/10

Design: Design? Can an almost black raster text be called design?

Usage: Probably!

I do like simplistic sites a lot as they tend to do the job better. But i like more simplicity with style. Uve certainly achieved the first, but for the style...hmm no!

When creating big complex sites, theres a lot of thinking. How im gonna do the design, how im gonna show this feature, etc etc. In your case uve got to think just of a good way of showing an input, a button and a logo. At least throw some styles so i dont go clicking that ugly submit button. And a logo too.

Functionality. It seems to work and do what its supposed to do. But an upload progress bar should give the user a good reason to wait for the file being uploaded. When i upload smth, there should be a back button. The link in the logo is ok, but not always intuitive. I just uploaded an image to test it and im getting just some ugly inputs with some urls. Probably a bit of explanation on using them and a thumbnail of the image.

Adding that the site should have any menu/information in it. An about, contact or whatever that gives some basic information. A privacy policy? What happens to my files, are they secure, private and in a very secret place outside of the world?

Technical side. I uploaded four times the file "creek.jpg" and im getting this url "http://www.simple-upload.com/edits/files/Creekx4.jpg". Guess its not a good idea having all files in one folder. What i can think is appending some random numbers to the filename and scattering them in random folders. So ure sure no files are overwritten and u may remove that file_exists() function (or leave it anyway) :). And 300 MB file uploads? U got to split those files in chunks to let me upload 300MB, or ill be hitting refresh every now and then to restart the script.

Thinking about the longevity of the application. Do you have (or plan to) the right hardware to fit large file uploads and many simultaneous users? It should be very resource consuming having 100 users upload a 10MB file in the same time.

I think i wrote too much, but wanted to give some good points which u may consider. Good luck on the project.

EDIT: About simplicity with style, think of cuil

Simplicity - Is the website simple enough for you? Do you understand how it works?

Design - Does the design consist of logically placed parts/looks good?

Would you use this website? - How often? For what purposes?

Suggestions - Anything that makes it easier for the users. Even if it saves the user a millisecond, it's roughly a minute or two of my time to make my site that much better. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Lol. Yes I understand how it works. Yes it looks good and simple. Not sure how often but obviously for uploading files.

One thing that you may have been trying to avoid in the quest for simple, but would prevent me from using it if it wasn't added, is some kind of user login option. I understand sometimes you may need to just quickly upload something to post on a forum or some other quick one time use. But what if you need it more than that. There's no way, save bookmarking it, that I'm going to remember the location of that picture, and I already have too many bookmarks so I won't be doing that. Even if its something easy. Maybe not even password protected. Just let the users know that anyone can access your folder or something. I never upload something that I wouldn't want someone else to see so I wouldn't have a problem with my folder being accesible. Just something to consider. I'm sure you'll have a large number of people that are looking for something just like this as well so maybe I'm not really speaking to your demographic.

Other than that I like it. It does what it should and it does make it easy. :)

Too boring for me. There isn't much happening, which is bad. Too much happening is also bad. You need to find a happy medium.

It's easy to use however.

I don't think I'd use it that often, because... Well I have my own server I can upload to. With FTP. :)

Good job though. Keep up the work!

• 2 weeks later...

I really like this :)

Simplicity: 10/10, fantastically easy to use.  The information you get post-upload is great too (an actual direct file url :o).

Design: Easy to follow, consistent and quick-to-load, easy on the eyes.  Very nice.

Would I use it?:  Probably not :)  As someone else said I have a server I use for this sort of thing, but I'd sure as hell enjoy using it to download things (compared to rapishare etc).

Suggestions?:  I'm a huge fan of direct links and the like, they make life so much easier some times, a more detailed listing of the different urls on the file's homepage could be nice (like on the post-upload screen).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.