W3C Compliant = Better PageRank?

axiom82

It's good to have W3C compliant web pages but does it offer any assistance in getting a higher page rank?

I'd have to say yes for 1 reason, it guarantees that google/yahoo/anyone will render the page using standardized tag reading structure that will enable them to properly decipher the sites content from a bot.

Also a big boost is using heading tags in the right manner as sites can then create a better feel for the page and usually heading tags (<h1><h2>) get napped as keywords if they are written well.

I tend to agree that W3C compliance says something for the quality of a website which would obviously be a great thing for a search bot to pick up on.  If it isn't already a part of Google/Yahoo's algorithm, I bet it certainly will be in the future.

I also wonder if linking the W3C valid html image to my page would increase PageRank if indeed the page was compliant.  But that would make a really great css site look a bit Nascar-ish lol.

If it isn't already a part of Google/Yahoo's algorithm, I bet it certainly will be in the future.

It's not part of the algorithm per se as W3C conformance has nothing to do with the quality or relevance of the content. However, if the spider cannot render your code then your ranking on the SERPs will obviously be degraded.

I also wonder if linking the W3C valid html image to my page would increase PageRank if indeed the page was compliant. But that would make a really great css site look a bit Nascar-ish lol.

What would that help? It's just a piece of graphic. Google doesn't care whatever standards your markup conforms to. Have you checked the source code of Google's pages? They're far from valid HTML.

I'm sure to some degree having html that validates is beneficial, but it seems obvious that an error or warning here or there doesn't mean much.

That said, I believe that having true XHTML/CSS markup vs. table based layout is essential for SEO. Get the real content as close to the top as possible.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.