grep for words

rubing

I am using grep to try and find a url in a text file.  typically i only know a single pattern in the url (e.g. 'tresure.com')

So, Grep does a  great job of finding the line which contains the pattern (e.g.  'come to our site: www.buried-treasure.com')  However, I would like to extract/parse just the url. from this line, that grep is detecting.

grep treasure.com urls | sed -r -e "s/.*?(www.*treasure.com).*/\1/g"

This is buggy, though. It only works if there is no http(s):// prefixing the URL, and only if there is a www in front of it. If someone can find a way to fix it, please do - I have trouble with multiple zero-or-one expressions.

sorry thorpe.  yes i am just looking to extract the url from the line of interest.  I think I can work with what you wrote here. 

using sed is also seems a good idea, but would prefer quick and dirty since i've been told it has a steep learning curve.

thx all!

sorry thorpe.  yes i am just looking to extract the url from the line of interest.

It just seems that you already have most of what you want in your pattern.

Can we see an example of an entire line and your pattern?

• 2 months later...

Hello  :);

Please try this out

--------

cat file_name | grep key_word > file_name; cat file_name

--------

8)

I am using grep to try and find a url in a text file.  typically i only know a single pattern in the url (e.g. 'tresure.com')

So, Grep does a  great job of finding the line which contains the pattern (e.g.  'come to our site: www.buried-treasure.com')  However, I would like to extract/parse just the url. from this line, that grep is detecting.

:)i recently became a member of this forum 8)

You bumped this two months why?

Welcome to the boards, however....

Running around bumping old solved threads is considered bad form on any forum. Please refrain from doing so.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.