Why do you prefer PHP?

woody79

Why do you prefer PHP?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you prefer PHP?

• Because it's free! Why else?
    • w00t! Open Source!
    • I'm lazy and don't want to specify integer, float, string, decimal, etc.
    • It's functional.
    • It's not confusing.

Because I have minimal experience with other server side languages. I picked up PHP first, it does what I want and expect, so have no reason to try anything like Ruby, ASP, Python etc. I know some Perl, but I only use it locally on my machine for automating mundane tasks, it's just faster than PHP for some tasks in my experience.

Microsoft have made there stuff to complicated and there API documentation is to complicated, there table interfaces are too complicated, for web apps at least. they have too many bugs and they take too much control away from you, its just OVER developed. PHP is simple and the documentation is str8 forward just right for web apps.

Because I have minimal experience with other server side languages. I picked up PHP first, it does what I want and expect, so have no reason to try anything like Ruby, ASP, Python etc. I know some Perl, but I only use it locally on my machine for automating mundane tasks, it's just faster than PHP for some tasks in my experience.

perl is supercooled by PHP, ASP.net is completely different from classic ASP and PHP its another way of making appas almost a RAD(rapid app dev) combined with elements of Visual basic type coding of windows apps. the only reason you need to know perl and python is for legacy systems, i also work with legacy systems of PHP 4, people that had ASP classic sites were "those types of people" in general the type that could throw away there old app cos it wasent very good in the first place and use new .net, programming in asp.net c sharp vb is not str8 forward, its very restricted or confined.

In my opinion PHP dominates ASP mainly due to the fact that it executes so much faster and uses far less server resources. Not to mention there is more open source apps to work with to create quicker developments. Finally php has nothing to do with Microsoft, which is a HUGE bonus.

Personally I prefer PHP because I don't want to specify void, static, integer, string, boolean, decimal, float or any others.

After 4 years of engineering classes and having hundreds of errors that are related to types, it's refreshing to not have to declare anything. PHP is a gift from the programming Gods. Everything that PHP and C both can do, PHP does better(note, I did not say that PHP is better overall, just better at doing things that they both can).

"Everything that PHP and C both can do, PHP does better"

Wouldn't that be a bit of a paradox since PHP is written in C?

I guess that could be looked at in two ways.  Something could be better than something from which it came, but in another sense, PHP owes its everything to C.

"Everything that PHP and C both can do, PHP does better"

Wouldn't that be a bit of a paradox since PHP is written in C?

I guess that could be looked at in two ways.  Something could be better than something from which it came, but in another sense, PHP owes its everything to C.

PHP just makes everything easier to account for, and manipulate. Since it takes care of data types for you automatically, there's no worrying about making sure everything is declared correctly and for each scenario, you just modify on the fly. I suppose you could say PHOP is the lazy man's C(not that it's a bad thing)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.