job as a web developer?

acidglitter

how easy is it for you guys to find jobs? i'm going to be moving to san diego (hopefully this fall) and i've been looking on craigslist and it seems like for most of the jobs you need at least a bachelors degree.. if i move this fall all i'm going to be is certified, nowhere near a degree..

Depends on who you are looking at to hire you - a lot of companies ask for a bachelors to try and filter the canidates, but a lot will also wave it if you can give them a reason too. After a couple months of only getting shit offers, my friend actually got a job by sending out a 1 sheet, large print letter that said, "Take a look at xxxxxx.com! You can hire the guy that made it! Call me at XXXXXXXXXXX!"

Granted, that won't work everytime, but it doesn't have too - That approach also works good if you can talk as good at you can program :)

In general, if you spend as much time looking for a job as you do getting a bachelors, you'll have a job a lot faster and for a hell of a lot less money than someone who goes to school for four years. The problem is that people send out 10 resumes, don't get a job, and give up.

It helps to get to know managers/owners of smaller businesses.  Wait for the right time and start talking to them about their current or lack of a website and go from there.  I came across a small auction business and convinced them to upgrade them from their Excel style auctions to an all out online auction site.  They now use it at all of their locations.  Shoot small before you shoot big in my opinion.

I have actually started my own web-design business... from scratch.

All it took was some basic programming knowledge (i actually didn't even know html when i started on this endeavor... sad i know).

Now I have just hired a good designer and hope to be making significantly more. (now that i'm not splitting my profits 50/50 and i get a kick ass designer=P)

If you get creative with your advertising.  If you are personable you should be able to land some business on your own.

**not to mention if you have a good portfolio, like some one before me said

I agree with what's right above me.  ::)

Many freelance. This does not need any degree and can be fairly profitable. Once you have done one or two serious jobs you will get reffered fairly quickly. My brother does this during the summer and christmas and he's making a decent 10-12 grand a year.

I was revising my business model a bit the other day and I actually thought of this post... heh.

Another thing about being a freelance web-developer... You need to be a good businessman.

If you do not possess charisma, the ability to articulate yourself, the ability to sell your services... among other things.  You probably won't be able to run things to well.

how easy is it for you guys to find jobs? i'm going to be moving to san diego (hopefully this fall) and i've been looking on craigslist and it seems like for most of the jobs you need at least a bachelors degree.. if i move this fall all i'm going to be is certified, nowhere near a degree..

It really depends upon your goals. Are you looking to contract permanently, or are you looking to obtain a FT position in the field? Either way, your personal work ethic, abilities and experience will speak for themselves. Many times, you'll run into an HR department who was just told to hire a candidate with X degree, but those companies worth their salt usually will acknowledge that there is an equivalent work experience as well. For instance, I have a bachelor's degree, but it is in nothing remotely pertaining to my occupation as a web developer. Most companies with whom I have spoken over the years really couldn't care less about the degree based on my reputation with my prior clients and work.

If you have relevant work experience, don't hesitate in posting for those jobs that cite a degree requirement. Often, you will find that they will be more than happy to waive that requirement in favor of a handful of solid years of experience. Now, you will still find those who are hesitant to consider you without the backing of a degree, so that leaves you with more responsibility to really prove yourself as a competent developer. Collect an impressive portfolio that you can use to sell them on your abilities. One of the most useful things I have been able to have is the verbal and/or written testimonials of previous clients. At one point, I sent out a mailer to my previous contacts and collected reviews on my work which I then used as references (since much of the work I have done has been on intranet sites and therefore impossible to include in a portfolio). People really seem to appreciate it when you have a glowing review ;)

These are just a few thoughts to keep in mind. Also, get some good connections on a professional site like LinkedIn. Recommendations on there also seem to boost your reputation among professionals.

Good luck!

I seriously don't think those employers would pay a Salary that a person with a Degree deserves.

Which "those employers" are you referring too? I've been in discussions with companies offering all different pay scales for the same type roles, sadly. You do have to be somewhat picky, but for an experienced developer, I have seen everything from $35K + benefits for a FT position to $115K + benefits. Oh, and those two salaries I mention were at jobs 50 miles apart, too ;)

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.