Retarded New to PHP :(

John404

I've been going through websites for the past couple of months looking for a good PHP script to start a game. I know absolutely NOTHING about coding, so I figured if I got a script I could work from there.

My Problem: once I get this script...then what?

I know I need MySQL to run the script (I think...) but I'm still quite lost at all of this.

I understand most of u will probably shun me for this but if any of you are willing to help me out with anything, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

No it's not the learning the PHP part, I can figure that out once I have the script. Much better at picking something apart and remaking it than starting from scratch when trying to learn.

where I'm lost is once I get the script...what program to I use to run and edit it? MySQL...Dreamweaver?

Like I said...very new... :-\

I learned php with php.net.

I would just read a functions description and look at the examples, do this enough and you will memorize 100's of functions without really trying.

Just find a script that you like, set it up, then start looking at the code, lookup each function used.  If the person that codded it did a good job you should start learning without really trying.  Also, checkout www.tizag.com if you want to learn textbook style.

For installing a local web server to test your scripts, i would use this: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

It's a very good and simple way to get a local web server with a-lot of features.

If you have Dreamweaver it is a good program to edit with.  It has functions to help you make sure the code is right before you test it on the server.  For example, if you leave out a semi-colon somewhere, the code will be a different color in that area... if you use it, you'll see what I mean.

Dreamweaver also has a nice feature that will show you the format of a function:

I posted a screen-shot of how awesome it is.

It will show that for just about every function.

Alot of editing in this post but, I like that it highlights the code with the same colors php uses to display php source.

Not to sound like an Adobe commercial, but the program is very much worth what you pay for it if your are a serious coder.

[attachment deleted by admin]

First off, the closest to a game your going to get with PHP is going to be a text thing. PHP can't do games like Halo or any web based games.

I think you really want to learn flash. PHP is only going to be good if you need a socket server to store scores and the like. If you do need a socket server, PM me.

Chris

First off, the closest to a game your going to get with PHP is going to be a text thing. PHP can't do games like Halo or any web based games.

I think you really want to learn flash. PHP is only going to be good if you need a socket server to store scores and the like. If you do need a socket server, PM me.

Chris

Obviously you haven't explored the limits of php or your definition of a game is pretty weak because there are a ton of great games written in php out there.

Chris

Obviously you haven't explored the limits of php or your definition of a game is pretty weak because there are a ton of great games written in php out there.

How? Your not going to do vectors and other things of the like in PHP.

Are you talking about using external plugins or something, like GTK only not?

EDIT: I see what you mean, I thought he wanted to make a game completely out of PHP, where the game's core was made from PHP code.

Chris

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.