asynchronous php?

rubing

Hey fellow phpers,

I am hoping someone can advise me on an application i am trying to build.  Let me try explaining this as clearly as possible:

I have a page with a list of items (songs) each linked to a php page.  The client requests one of these items and the php script determines the appropriate item to return (correct version of the song to play) for this user.  The item is served (song is played) asynchronously. 

Maybe this is something I should be doing with Flash??  or Ajax??

thanks for any advice!!!!

PHP and Ajax.  You can't use just Ajax, as you need something on the server to serve up the right content.

You got me confused for a second on that, but i got what u meant. You mean that you can't use AJAX alone as it has to run some script in the backend :)

Ajax implies both browser and server side. there is no such thing as "Ajax" without both.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AJAX

Ajax (asynchronous JavaScript and XML), or AJAX, is a group of interrelated web development techniques used for creating interactive web applications or rich Internet applications.

BlueSky, I personally am well aware of that, but since the thread starter seemed to disregard PHP when mentioning Ajax, as if it was an alternative, I had to point it out.

Yes I meant i wanted php as the backend.  Basically i need my mp3 player to query the php page, which will then return the url of the song to play.

still not sure where to get started.  i am using soundmanager 2 as my mp3 player, which is a javascript interface to flash.  do i have to incorporate this functionality to the player itself?

maybe i should just learn flash?  can't flash query my php page directly and then play the resulting url.  sorry i now realize this is not an explicit php question and maybe should've been posted in another forum.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.