How do freelance developers get paid?

ryy705

Hello freelancers,

What is a good way for collecting payment?  I don't think submitting your work to a client you never met and waiting for a check in the mail is a good idea.  Paypal is fast but it will charge about 4%.  This can add up to a substantial amount very quickly. 

Depends on the client.. half of my clients are local and will mail me a check or meet up with me to pay cash.

For the other half, I've used Paypal.  I simply pad the bill a touch in certain areas to cover the fees.

And always require a certain % upfront before starting work.  And require the remaining % before full delivery.  Never develop on the customer's web space unless you completely trust them (long term client, for example, where proven payment has been provided).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.