? How to compare more than one result.

Sideclef

I have this script that I have been writing. To finish it I have to figure out how i can compare say up to 8 fields in a table. What I need to do is see which field has the highest result or if there is a tie on the result between more than one field. I then will need to send an event saying what the results are in order and distinguish if it was 1 highest return or more than one.  I would think I could use ORDER By and use the max. Then how would I go about distinguishing the results in php.

example of the table fields:

id    user    num

1  user1      1

2  user2      5

3  user3      2

4  user4      5

5  user5      6

6  user6      3

7  user7      4

8  user8      4

Would I use some kind of if statement or an array of some kind. I have really never dealt with anything like this I am still new to php. Hope this made sense.

It's psuedo, and I haven't tested the logic but it gives you an idea.  Hope this helps...

$tie = 0;
$max = 0;
$temp = 0;

Select * from table order by user;  
Loop through the results{
$temp = $data['num'];
if ($temp>$max)
{
     $max = $temp;
}
elseif($temp == $max)
{
     $tie = $temp;
}
elseif($temp{
     $max = $max
}
}

if($tie == $max)
{
     //there is a tie
}

Simple idea

<?php
$q = "Select GROUP_CONCAT(DISTINCT user) as win FROM `table` GROUP BY num ORDER BY num LIMIT 1";
$r = mysql_query($q) or die(mysql_error()."<br /><br />".$q);
$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($r);
$winners = explode(",",$row['win']);
print_r($winners);
?>

NOTE do not use such a lengthy query listed above its going to overwork your system

I think I may need to explain this a little more.

Basically its a simple game of who has the highest # or if its tied out. I have the script wrote up until its time to compare. The game will be the choice of 2-8 players and I have to find the highest result or if it is a tie and return it all into a message containing the results.

Ok not sure if I did this right this function kinda confuses  ??? me somewhat. Anyways I need to return username and the roll from this. $winners is returning this "ARRAY". So how would I return them? with this.

$q = "SELECT username,
         GROUP_CONCAT(CAST(`roll` as CHAR))
         FROM `dice_game_info` WHERE `game_id`=6
         GROUP BY `username`";
$r = mysql_query($q) or die(mysql_error()."<br /><br />".$q);
$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($r);
$winners = explode(",",$row['win']);

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.