Linux for a nooblet

Steel Samurai

So, my faithful XP laptop has bit the bullet after only 8 months of ownership (though it was refurbished) I accidentally uninstalled the sound card drivers, and now they will not work, even after repeated installations. The wireless will not work either, for reasons unknown. I've toyed with the idea of buying a hard drive and dual booting XP and a Linux distro on my PC for awhile, but hadn't bought the hard drive for that purpose just yet. However, with this development, giving my lappie only the bare necessities of what I need it for for school. (Which is to say, it runs OpenOffice) Regardless, I am now presented with the choice of reinstalling windows or going with a linux distribution. Being the open source fan I am, I would much rather get my laptop out of the hands of the evil microsoft overlords, however, I need to be absolutely sure that it can do everything I need it to. I have absolutely no programming experience, and don't have the time to learn anything. So, I need to know whether I should bother with installing a linux OS or just go with wiping my hard drive and reinstalling windows.

Laptop (IBM Thinkpad R52) Specs:

2 gb RAM

~50 gb HDD

1.86 gHz Pentium M processor

ATI Mobility Radeon X300

I need it to:

Take notes in class

Watch DVDs and other videos of various types

Connect to my school's VPN

Surf the web

Nearly everything else my desktop can take care of.

Considering the above situation, my questions are:

Should I install linux?

If so, should I attempt to partition my harddrive and dual boot?

What distribution will be the best for someone who has no coding experience?

and don't have the time to learn anything.

With that kind of attitude you wont get very far with Linux or any new OS really.

Linux is quite capable of meeting your needs, but there is always going to be at least some learning curve. A distro like Ubuntu should pretty much work out of the box, but if you actually want to get value from Linux you'll need to do some learning.

and don't have the time to learn anything.

With that kind of attitude you wont get very far with Linux or any new OS really.

Linux is quite capable of meeting your needs, but there is always going to be at least some learning curve. A distro like Ubuntu should pretty much work out of the box, but if you actually want to get value from Linux you'll need to do some learning.

Just to elaborate a bit on what thorpe said.  Ubuntu does great user interface with GNOME, but by the same note, most of the power is in the shell.  I mean, you can do the things you mentioned with their GUI as if it were any other OS, but I happen to find myself in a terminal window 90% of the time because I find it much easier to work with (I feel like there's much more control in the shell, and there is).  Your choice.

So with that I take it that it would probably be a good idea for me to go ahead and wipe XP and put on Ubuntu? Or should I partition first and dual boot?

Up to you I guess. Ubuntu should do everything you require, but there is probably still a leaning curve involved.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.