Why is Movie Technology so Bad?

The Little Guy

OK, some movies/tv shows really bad computer technology, here are some examples:

1. the user is viewing the desktop, and then they type some random thing in and then press enter, and a movie is instantly playing (no loading, no buffer, nothing, it is instantly there out of know where)

2. In the movie "Untraceable" they can not stop the suspect, because they can not find him... what should we do? lets break down some doors and enter some houses, or wait... we could have his ISP shut him down...

3. I like how on Nickelodeon, they can't use the apple name or logo, but they can use the software. People buy things like... iPear (iPhone), Pear Book (Apple Computer). This channel has LOTS of bad technology if you haven't watched it, you should to see its horrible way they use technology.

4. How about where people hack into government computers in like 2 seconds, and steal all of the governments data?

That is all I can think of at the moment...

...because the average Joe doesn't get off to the technical details and processes behind this sort of stuff.  Movies are made to make money, not educate people.  Not to mention when it comes to stuff like hacking, I'm pretty sure the higher the accuracy the more they stand to get in trouble for showing it. 

Same applies for anything else; movies don't show the entire process behind food cooked etc... Bottom line is people want flashy things and interesting plots.  They don't want to be bored to death with the 'mundane details.'

If you want mundane details pick up a book or watch the food network or the discovery channel.  But hell, even then half the time they cut a lot of the process out.  Why? Because it's boring.  Nobody wants to watch water boil or grass grow.

One thing I've always wondered is why in many movies/TV shows people never go to the toilet. Take for instance the "24". How is it possible for Jack Bauer (and everybody else) to not go to toilet in 24 hours?!

You never hear something like "Aww man... I have to go defecate" in the middle of a firefight.

...because the average Joe doesn't get off to the technical details and processes behind this sort of stuff.  Movies are made to make money, not educate people.  Not to mention when it comes to stuff like hacking, I'm pretty sure the higher the accuracy the more they stand to get in trouble for showing it. 

Same applies for anything else; movies don't show the entire process behind food cooked etc... Bottom line is people want flashy things and interesting plots.  They don't want to be bored to death with the 'mundane details.'

If you want mundane details pick up a book or watch the food network or the discovery channel.  But hell, even then half the time they cut a lot of the process out.  Why? Because it's boring.  Nobody wants to watch water boil or grass grow.

They could at least make it look more realistic with out boring people. My non-technical friends, notice these things in videos too, they have used a computer before, and they know that some of the stuff done is not at all realistic.

I still feel they could make it more realistic, is it that hard to use a mouse every once in a while? It wouldn't add any extra length to the video, just more realism.

how about where they know the address of a place just by the persons IP address... They don't even have to look anything up, they just know that this IP address is related to this computer and this computer is at this location.

They could at least make it look more realistic with out boring people. My non-technical friends, notice these things in videos too, they have used a computer before, and they know that some of the stuff done is not at all realistic.

I think you underestimate people's ignorance in regards to computers and what they can and cannot do.

I think it's more a matter of bias than underestimation.  I think we can assume that TLG likes technology and coding and all that sort of fun stuff, same as the rest of us here, so of course he's going to bitch about it not looking cooler in a more accurate way.  But I challenge you, TLG, to apply that same bitch to other things the movie industry skimps out on (like I mentioned before).  For instance, do you like cooking?  Do you like fixing cars?  Do you like writing out documents or looking through files?  Do you like forensics? Pick something you don't like.  Or even something you just aren't that interested in.  You can't tell me that you really care if they made a better effort to more accurately portray those things.  If you did, you would have made this topic a more general bitch about everything, instead of just technology.

The show numb3rs has a bunch of this.  I remember one episode dealing with steganography.  The professor was able to decrypt the hidden image in 3 seconds with 1 line of typing off the top of his head.  He just somehow knew the encryption algorithm used and had a way to decrypt it on hand (or head in this case).

Or if any of you watch prison break still, the current season has a device that can wirelessly steal any data on hard drives/memory cards close enough to it.  The cards they steal data from aren't even hooked up to a power source and they steal the data via wireless.  And the entire season's story is based on this.  Now I watch heroes instead (they're on at the same time).

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.