Positioning Help

eleven0

I use

position:absolute;
top: 120px;
left:24%;

It works fine, I have set my div as i wanted but when you resize your browser, div moves around too(positions itself with those values within the resized browser). Is there a way for me to stick that div at that place. I don't want it to move as you resize your browser.

I chose position:absolute because it's really easy for me to put whatever i want wherever i want, but everything gets messed up when you resize your browser. Any alternative ways or ideas?

Dont absolutely or relatively position your divs. Look in to other methods such as floats.

What type of layout are you trying to achive?

Why would you not want to relatively position your divs? As I understand it, relatively position divs is just as beneficial as floating a div.

absolute positioning is awesome - provided you know what you're doing...

the reason your div moves around is because your absolute positioning is doing exactly what it should.

left:24%; will change (as in 24% of a smaller value) once the parent containers width has changed...

ToonMariner is right, absolute positioning is awesome, once you know what you are doing.

The trick is that you must position the parent element to have it behave as generally wanted. A lot of beginners quickly abandon absolute positioning when they experience what you did.

Above would usually mean to apply position: relative; to the parant. Below is an example of how to do this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html lang="eng">

<head>
    <title>My first Website</title>
<style type="text/css">
    #Basement {
      position: relative;
      width: 700px;
      height: 700px;
    }
    #Content {
      position: absolute;
      top: 0;
      right: 0;
      width: 400px;
    }
    </style>
  </head>

<body>

<div id="Basement">
      <div id="Content">
        <p>My first Website.</p>
      </div>
    </div>
  </body>

</html>

See also: CSS Position Based Layouts

Note that the equal height-column layout has some outdated information, mainly regarding having a image or color fill out the canvas horizontally, this is something which there are working solutions for, i just haven't gotten around updating the Example yet. And i would also like to post an example at some point, this would mainly open up for a bottom for my underwater-layout.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.