[SOLVED] Problem using LIMIT function

garry27

I've go this sql  I'm using to extract records for a page recordset and it works fine for the first 1-5 records. For the next 6-10 records however, it shows 7 records, and the page after that shows only 2. The total num of records in the database is 13 and running a query without LIMIT confirms this.

SELECT * FROM GA_Gig, GA_Town, GA_Venue, GA_User WHERE GA_Gig.townID = GA_Town.townID AND GA_Gig.venueID = GA_Venue.venueID AND GA_Gig.username = GA_User.username AND GA_Town.region = 'North East' ORDER BY GA_Gig.date LIMIT 6,10

Please someone advice me on how I can fix this.

LIMIT definition:

Definition: Limit is used to limit your MySQL query results to those that fall within a specified range. You can use it to show the first X number of results, or to show a range from X - Y results. It is phrased as Limit X, Y and included at the end of your query. X is the starting point (remember the first record is 0) and Y is the duration (how many records to display).

LIMIT X, Y

X=your starting record

Y=how many you want to grab FROM X

So if you have 13 records and you start from 6 and grab 10 then of course you're going to get 7 more records.

What are you trying to do?

Oh, right. Silly of me. I thought the second argument was for the record you would want the LIMIT to stop at.

Many thanks

Haha, yeah I did the same thing with a DB at my work.  I had a recursive function to incrementally grab records and I kept clogging the server because I was trying to update almost 100,000 records at once  :o

Sometimes it's better to learn the hard way because I will NEVER do that again.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.