Linux Software

The Little Guy

What programming language would you use to program Linux software?

That would entirely depend on what the programs intended purpose is. Most command line tools are written in C, though there would be a fairly high percent also written in scripting languages such as Bash, Python or Perl.

Or, what languages are available?

Too many to mention. The most popular I would guess as being C, C++ and the scripting languages mentioned above.

Out of the options you guys have suggested, I am thinking PHP, or Python, since I am most familiar with those two... So... other than http://gtk.php.net or http://docs.python.org are their any good tutorial sites (I dislike manuals for tutorials, only for reference)?

Again, this really depends on what your planning on making. If your planning on making an app with a gui, I definately wouldn't go down the php-gtk path. This will just create dependencies that knowone will wont to install. Assuming that is of course your planning on having other people install the software on there machines.

Python's gtk or qt interfaces would be a pretty sain bet, but once again this depends on what your app is meant to do.

Again, this really depends on what your planning on making ... but once again this depends on what your app is meant to do.

Lets say in the future (many years form now) I wanted to make a PhotoShop/Paint Shop Pro/Gimp Look alike, what programming language would you suggest looking into to head into that direction?

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.