Is basing design off.....

BoltZ

Ok lets say I am making forum software and My  software looks similar to other forum software (note that this person will NOT be stealing the php source code at all.) all of this code is hand coded. is this illegal or unethical. I have been googling and it looks like in this example, vbulletin went after them for using their CODE n not their design layout. am i correct in saying this is legal as long as i dont steal code and hand code it myself and it doesnt look identical and all that stuff?

sorry if this is the wrong forum to post in i wasnt really sure

yea its legal if you hand code a layout based on something you have seen its legel as long as you dont steal the code or images.

but if you relly want to feel safe i would put a comment in the code

<!-- roughly based on http://www.sitename.com -->

<!-- all code and content created by (your name -->

most people who think you stole code will see that in the code and be like oh due to the fact that your crediting the source for the design idea

Another part is that im am in no way gifted with photoshop so like if you click the link in my profile to my beta forums you will see the checkmark. i just simply googled "checkmark" and it gave me that. is using that image illegal or should i also put a comment there about how it was used from that site?

Its like when you go to buy a case of Pepsi, and you see Megapepsi, it is made by two different peeps, but is almost the same thing, but people are going to trust the original Pepsi, than the Megapepsi brand.

You could take all your code and write it to a disk, or a RW, so you can keep backing it up, and then people will know you made it on your own.

Another part is that im am in no way gifted with photoshop so like if you click the link in my profile to my beta forums you will see the checkmark. i just simply googled "checkmark" and it gave me that. is using that image illegal or should i also put a comment there about how it was used from that site?

Depending on the site from which you got it, it could be illegal.  Copyright infringement.

You could take all your code and write it to a disk, or a RW, so you can keep backing it up, and then people will know you made it on your own.

That wouldn't convince me if the defendant had a chance to make up fake code.  And a desperate person could do that quite quickly.

its better than adding commented code..

I'm guessing you mean in reference to stealing ideas, not actual content, because stealing actual content is still illegal even with crediting the author.

No I am talking about this suggestion:

but if you relly want to feel safe i would put a comment in the code

<!-- roughly based on http://www.sitename.com -->

<!-- all code and content created by (your name -->

most people who think you stole code will see that in the code and be like oh due to the fact that your crediting the source for the design idea

Why is it people think it's a good idea to ask random people on the internet for legal advice instead of a professional? Also, why is it that when people do this they do not tell where they are from? Laws are different in different countries... The law is complex and what one might think would be logical is not necessarily how it is in the real world. If you're in doubt, ask a lawyer. Otherwise you might end up in some serious trouble.

Why is it people think it's a good idea to ask random people on the internet for legal advice instead of a professional? Also, why is it that when people do this they do not tell where they are from? Laws are different in different countries... The law is complex and what one might think would be logical is not necessarily how it is in the real world. If you're in doubt, ask a lawyer. Otherwise you might end up in some serious trouble.

very true..

What one might think is logical is never how it is in the real world.

Ok well I live in maryland. I will not be stealing content, just partial design. buttons (with your suggestion) i shall just google those keywords. for legal safety I shall comment code that its roughly based off of (site) and that for this forum some features were inspired by (forum) . But i shall be handcoding all of this so i think i shall be fine. So just a conclusion qustion, it is not illegal to base a design off a different site?

It is sort of similar to mybb's installation guide, however the steps are different, i use different images, and i have a background image around the containing  div for everything, and i have rouded borders, and a different banner. to check it out click the link in my profile and (i guess if you are devoted) download mybb and go to the installationwizard

yea it kinda does. im working on the site now, thats y u got that error but if you do index.php?step=2 then its the next step in ninstallation. im only nearing the design of step 3 so bear with me man. i already  posted a section about how to post variables via url..

incidentilly are u the kinda guy who works on images? ^^

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.