Legal Question

Stooney

I run my own PC repair (among other stuff) business.  If someone brings in their HP computer (or whatever brand) running XP Home (for example) without their windows cd (let's say the lost it forever), and I only have an XP Home OEM cd on hand, would I run into problems, legally, if I were to install the OEM version of XP Home (which won't work with the CD key stuck on the side of their computer) then used one of the many XP activators out there to activate it? 

They are still using XP Home and own a legal license for it.

If not, is there any easy way for techs to obtain the different copies of the windows install cds legally?  Or do we just copy them from clients as they come in?

If there is no legal way to get em, where should I get them anyways? 

no the cd isnt unigue its the  info on the sticker the password and userkey or whatever windows calls them.

ive worked at a few bigger stores that do it this way where they just have one disk forevery os and just reinstall them and type in the details from the sticker on the comp

Yes, that's illegal.

If I bought a car from Microsoft, and then that one broke, would it be OK to take another from them with a different VIN?

The computer would be using a different license, which would mean a different "copy" of XP.

Although, I could be entirely wrong.  If the license you used was able to be used on up to X computers, then as long as you don't pass that, you're legally fine (probably).  Although, if it's an OEM disc, I doubt that's the case.

To know for sure, you would have to read the license that came with the disc, although I'm 99% sure it would be illegal.

Yes, that's illegal.

If I bought a car from Microsoft, and then that one broke, would it be OK to take another from them with a different VIN?

The computer would be using a different license, which would mean a different "copy" of XP.

Although, I could be entirely wrong.  If the license you used was able to be used on up to X computers, then as long as you don't pass that, you're legally fine (probably).  Although, if it's an OEM disc, I doubt that's the case.

To know for sure, you would have to read the license that came with the disc, although I'm 99% sure it would be illegal.

He is saying he has a sort of media kit. If each comp has it's own key on a sticker, I don't think there is any problem. If he was using the same key with each box THAT would be a problem.

Chris

Yes, that's illegal.

He is saying he has a sort of media kit. If each comp has it's own key on a sticker, I don't think there is any problem. If he was using the same key with each box THAT would be a problem.

Chris

Actually that's allowed I believe.  Public schools (where I live at least) order computers that each have a unique product key on the case (so it's not 1 license for x computers, it's 1 license per computer).  Each computer gets an image pushed on to it from the server, so therefore all of the computer have the same product key.  I believe it's legal because the school can show Microsoft that they have as many licenses as they have computers running windows.

Which is basically my question.  Would there be a legal problem if I (using a 3rd party 'hack') activated windows without a product key (it's possible, I've done it) and just had the actual license that came with the computer on hand (and not installed elsewhere) in the event that someone came around asking questions.

Also, for those still not understanding the actual issue, all XP Home/Pro keys will not work with all XP Home/Pro install CD's.  For example, I used a Windows XP Pro CD from a dell computer to install windows on a computer that had an OEM key on it's case.  That OEM key would not work with the Dell XP Pro install.  I would've had to use an OEM install disc to use that key.

On a side not, I did install XP Home on a laptop today with an OEM disc even though it was an HP computer that had an HP Key.  Maybe OEM installs can take all keys?  I'm not sure exactly how it all works.

Yes, that's illegal.

Chris

Actually that's allowed I believe.  Public schools (where I live at least) order computers that each have a unique product key on the case (so it's not 1 license for x computers, it's 1 license per computer).  Each computer gets an image pushed on to it from the server, so therefore all of the computer have the same product key.  I believe it's legal because the school can show Microsoft that they have as many licenses as they have computers running windows.

Which is basically my question.  Would there be a legal problem if I (using a 3rd party 'hack') activated windows without a product key (it's possible, I've done it) and just had the actual license that came with the computer on hand (and not installed elsewhere) in the event that someone came around asking questions.

Also, for those still not understanding the actual issue, all XP Home/Pro keys will not work with all XP Home/Pro install CD's.  For example, I used a Windows XP Pro CD from a dell computer to install windows on a computer that had an OEM key on it's case.  That OEM key would not work with the Dell XP Pro install.  I would've had to use an OEM install disc to use that key.

On a side not, I did install XP Home on a laptop today with an OEM disc even though it was an HP computer that had an HP Key.  Maybe OEM installs can take all keys?  I'm not sure exactly how it all works.

OEM and retail keys do not mix, you are correct.

A key on a Dell system will not work on a copy of XP you buy at BestBuy, or vis versa (?).

Chris

Yes, that's illegal.

Chris

He's using an OEM key on a computer that is not the one that he got the OEM key with.

And any 3rd party hacks are straight up illegal.  Proof of license or not.

Oh, and each computer in my school has a different license key.  Also, I don't think it's possible to push a file without an OS installed ;p.  I guess unactivated windows could be installed, but even then, you would have issues such as hardware ID binds and what not.  I don't think that's how your school did it, but I could be wrong.

You could purchase them from a reseller like newegg.com because I don't know any local stores that sell Windows XP, only websites.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116058

I saw some a Staples, also, why don't you order a bunch in your store, then make they pay for a copy?

Ok, sorry. Where i live no one carries it anymore. Only vista. Thats what all the computers come with too.

You could purchase them from a reseller like newegg.com because I don't know any local stores that sell Windows XP, only websites.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116058

I saw some a Staples, also, why don't you order a bunch in your store, then make they pay for a copy?

Well they didn't come to me to buy a new OS, they came so I could reinstall their current OS.  I just get annoyed when 90% of people lose their recovery cds.  Although, people are finally upgrading computers these days and I see a lot more recovery partitions that make my life easy. 

If you use an illegal key, or generated key, or whatever, your customer will no longer be able to use any microsoft updates as it will report it as an invalid key.  Then they might report YOU to microsoft as the one who gave them that key.

To tell you the truth, all you have to do is spend about 30 minutes on the phone with microsoft as long as you have a valid key, and a valid CD to install and they dont match, and they will give you a key that will work with the CD installer.  I have ran into it about 5 times and that is what I have had to do.

Also had this situation. Microsoft is actually pretty permissive (!!!) on their OEM license. It was said to be 'attached' to your mother board or what not, but you can easily overcome this just by calling them.

My guess is, they have a 'blacklist' of product keys, that are known to be used with illegal software, and whenever someone calls them, and gives them a key not on this list, they just activate a product for him/her.

Who would call in to say an illegally retrieved key doesn't work anyway?

1. Never underestimate human stupidity.

2. There are cases of forged MS products, which for non aware customer look as good as real ones (especially when they're cheaper).

3. Look #1

To tell you the truth, all you have to do is spend about 30 minutes on the phone with microsoft as long as you have a valid key, and a valid CD to install and they dont match, and they will give you a key that will work with the CD installer.  I have ran into it about 5 times and that is what I have had to do.

I use to call the all the time to activate my copy of windows. Until I found a ISO on the net that took out the activation processes, and now I never have to call them again :D

Last time i phoned up, it was all automated - didn't actually speak to anyone.

Yeah me too, only it didn't work so I got through to a human representative. She spoke Swedish though, it was pretty difficult to understand. It was a long time ago.

Yeah, if it doesnt work you will get a human rep to talk to.  As far as reps go some are hard to understand, and some arent.  I have got 1 that was from NA, the rest from another country.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.