[SOLVED] Restricting Characters

sh0wtym3

This a snippet from my upload script. At the moment it replaces spaces with "_" and makes the title lowercase.

$file = str_replace(' ', '_', $_POST['title']);
   $file = strtolower($file);

I also have a Javascript code that restricts the user from typing certain characters, such as apostrophes.

Apparently Javascript doesn't work on all browsers as a user just uploaded a file, with a title that has an apostrophe in it, which created all sorts of problems for me.

I added 3 more lines that will hopefully prevent this from happening in the future:

ereg_replace($file,$pattern,$replace);
   $pattern="*^$%&()#@!'";
   $replace="";

But it doesn't seem to work?

If you need to see more of my code just let me know. Thanks in advance.

You have the $pattern and $replace after the rege_replace is done. In php definitions go first.

$pattern="*^$%&()#@!'";
   $replace="";

I am not good with regex, so if the pattern/replace doesnt work I would take this to the regex forum.

As for why it is not working, I just noticed you do not assign what comes out of the regex to a variable IE:

should be

$file = ereg_replace($file,$pattern,$replace);

Hope that works for ya, if not it is the pattern and I am not good with regex =\

You don't need regex for this, just use stripslashes().

I would have to disagree, it seems like he is saving this as a file on the server given that it is an upload script. Files with weird characters in the name tend to get messed up and can cause problems, in fact that is how webservers can be exploited, a user creates a folder on it that has certain characters and bam, they can no longer access that folder or delete it which allows that folder to be accessed by certain programs and a user to do what they want with it such as upload files etc.

The point of this wasnt because of the magic_quotes, he wants all special characters our of it.

At least that is how I took it.

If he was really concerned about "odd characters" and exploitation of files on the server, he should create unique, random names and store the new name, the original name (for downloading), and MIME data in a database.

Yep he sure could do that, a bit more work but I would agree that would be the better way if he intends to use this script extensively.

DarkWater - I disabled magic quotes in my php.ini file. And you have a good point regarding storing random names as the file name, I'll consider that if I can't get this script to work.

Premiso - You are correct, the file that was uploaded with an apostrophe cannot be deleted, renamed, etc.

I tried $file = ereg_replace($file,$pattern,$replace); but now I get no output at all :(

I'll look inside the regex forum as suggested.

If I may, I will make one suggestion. Your script is only replacing "*^$%&()#@!'". What about other "odd" characters that may cause a problem? I always prefer to use a "white list" of approved characters and strip out/replace any others. But, it all depends on your usage. In some situations you may need to keep the original input in other's you don't. Here's one possibility:

$_POST['title'] = "This is_a test!@#$%^&*().jpg";

//Change all spaces to underscore
//Remove all NON a-z, 0-9, and underscores
$file = preg_replace('/[^\w\.]/i', '', $file);

echo $file;
//Output: This_is_a_test.jpg

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.