search help

banjax

1) Make a form with fields and pass the values to the query.

2) Use:  ORDER BY *your_field* ASC;

ORDER BY *your_field* DESC;

If could show some code, elaborate, you know that sort of thing, maybe we could help you further.

ok i had no idea how or if i can edit my post but what i need basically is this http://www.phpfreaks.com/forums/index.php/topic,224589.0.html

where users can search for other users by the first letter of there user name,Age,Position Etc

www.FSAgency.net this is my site if you click on ad's you will see one database entry in there. that is where i need it to be able to search

Yes, you can use a wildcard then order_by the field.  For example if you want to grab the letter that was entered in the field by the user then you would probably do a post and put in in the query.  Then you can have and ORDER BY clause.

$letter = $_POST['user_letter_search'];
$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM table_name WHERE name LIKE '{$letter}%' ORDER BY name ASC") 
or die(mysql_error());  

If you want the user to toggle between ascending/descending then I would probably just make the "ASC" a variable.

It depends.  If you just want simple example with a field and a query, not very long.  I already gave you the PHP/MySQL part now all you have to do is create a basic HTML form with an input field for the letter the user wants to search.  Let me know if you need help, please provide code before asking for it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.