Urgent Advice Needed... PHP, Unix, Firefox, Chrome

MediaMonkey

Hello,

We have built a website on a windows server, using the .php extension - the entire website works fine on Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox & Google Chrome.

However, we have just migrated the SAME website to a unix server - and the site works in Internet Explorer, but not in Firefox or Chrome; it only displays the source-code and not the website?  We do not know why??

Any help and advice you can offer would really be appreciated.

Cheers,

MM :)

Hi Waynewex,

Thanks for your reply.

We have deleted all temporary files and also tried accessing the site from different computers on different ISPs and on all browsers - and the same findings occurred...

That the site works fine on the Windows-host in all browsers; however only outputs source-code in Firefox & Chrome on the Unix-host.

What would be the likely cause of such an issue?

Thanks for your help,

Another update (if it would help in identifying the issue)...

I've just changed the extension of one of the .PHP pages to .HTML and that functions correctly in Firefox / Chrome on the Unix server...

Therefore something must be going wrong with the .php extension in chrome & firefox on the unix host (as previously mentioned, it functions correctly in all three on a windows host)...

Any advice please?

Thanks,

Hi Monkeytooth,

TelstraClear (UNIX Host) - thats a NewZealand company.

TotalChoiceHosting (WINDOWS Host) - thats an American company.

The windows host is our testing server and the NewZealand host holds the account which requires the new website to function on.

Thanks for your help,

php runs on the server and has no idea (nor does it care) what browser your using to view the site with.

I would suggest that your old site (served from the original server) has somehow been cache'd by IE and in fact your newer server does not have apache / php configured correctly.

Thank you for your reply Thorpe,

The pages of the site we are accessing are through different domains (for the different servers) - therefore I don't believe it would be a cache'd problem?

I have contemplated that this issue may be the newer server not being configured correctly and contacted them - who have brushed me off with a standard response saying it is most likely a 'design issue'...

What would you suggest as the best form of action to get this issue resolved?

Thanks for your advice,

MM  :)

Well i got 2 things to say.. one I agree with thorpe, they may not have php configured correctly on there servers. Also, they may but only support php 5, and your sites coding is in 4 and its just not interpreting correctly.

Mind sending me a link to one of these pages displaying just the code?

The other thing is I just looked at TelstraClear and all I have to say is damn... they are expensive, especially for what they seem to offer with there "professional package".. so to that I say if you want better hosting and on a linux/unix server Ill give you hosting for a fraction of what your paying with TelstraClear, and with better perks.. so long as your not doing anything illegal (by U.S. standards). Unfortunately I cant give you a control panel like cpanel with the hosting account right now, but when I move everything over to my personal servers and get stuff a little more set up I can, but thats still a ways off.. either way unlimited bandwidth, for the most part all the storage you can need, email accounts, etc, can be provided. You let me know, and ill give you a good price, if your interested..

But enough shameless plugging... like I said post a link, could be that even the code is broken somewhere, and you just need to adjust something for it to work accordingly

Thank you for your response Monkeytooth, I've just replied to that also.

So the issue appears to be that the server is not invoking the correct scripts (apache/php) to process the .PHP extension and therefore outputs source-code instead of the basic html content...

I have now contacted them (again) and requested they investigate the issue.

Thanks for your help and support.

The number one check I usually do to verify that my site is running PHP/APACHE fine is invoke the phpinfo function on a test page. If that page shows up just fine, than it is your code, if it does not it is the server.

<?php 
phpinfo();
?>

Check the versions of your development server's PHP and your new server's PHP. If the PHP versions are different that can break code too.

Thorpe - the page content i'm trouble-shooting is entirely HTML based with a .php extension; only other sections of the site actually contain PHP content (also have the same issues)

Premiso - thank you, I've just setup a testing page, as you suggested - it returns a blank page in Internet Explorer, and the source-code (plain text) in Firefox (e.g.):

=============================================

<?php

phpinfo();

?>

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

<html>

<head>

<title>Untitled Document</title>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

</head>

<body>

</body>

</html>

=============================================

Therefore I guess there is a real issue with the hosts apache/php?

Thanks,

Yep if that phpinfo(); function cannot even display it is definitely a server issue.

I would remove the HTML portion of that and just have the php on a page, test it again and if it just displays the sourcecode email your provider with a link to that page letting them know it is THEIR issue not yours.

If you do a "view source" in the browser (even the one giving a blank page) you will probably find all the raw unparsed php code.

Short answer - either php is not supported on the web server, it is mis-configured, not-enabled in the control panel, or using some other extension by default and would need to be configured to use .php ...

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.