Order of Operations

ShoeLace1291

Does PHP use the order of operations crap in mathematics?  You know the old please excuse my dear aunt sally crap.  I'm trying to incorporate a formula that my friend and I came up with for a league system that figures out what amount of experience each team gets after a match.  My question is that what syntax would I need to use for a formula like this:

[(5/L)W] + [N+(W-L)] = x

I usually go for readability, but yeah genericnumber1's is valid too.  And actually better since it's like .00000000001 seconds faster ;p.

You actually used the order of operations hehe.  I'm an over-grouper.  Calculators have trained me that way x.x.  Should've condensed it though.  I was just lazy.  Ironic, eh?

I've had people look at math problems I've done before and tell me they're wrong because the order of operations is assumed lol.  On paper I don't use grouping symbols except when needed, but I find on a computer, since everything is typically written on one line (as in no division symbols except for / and so on), it's easier to comprehend with a crap load of parenthesis.

The only time I find myself using tons of parenthesis in programming are those confusing if/then conditionals everyone loves

if ((something || something) && (something && (something || something)) {

of course I try to avoid them when neccessary, but worrying about the fact that && is higher precedence than || is just a pain... so I parenthesis up.

Hrmmm learned something ;p.  I actually found that page after reading your post, but then I forgot about this thread lol.

Edit:

Things like

C:\Users\Corbin>php -r "var_dump(false && false || true && false);"

bool(false)

Were why I had assumed they have the same order of operations.  But, either way would make sense in that specific context.  I guess I shouldn't assume ;p.

hello sir,  i have one question regarding mathematic operators that i have three pages and all paged having radio button values. one page having only one value so it is very simple to move this value to next page. but second pages having two radio buttons values plus previous page value. please help me to fix out our problem thanks

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.