Photo

Newbie - for real! Just getting started!

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 ummzee

ummzee
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 02:44 PM

I am experienced with html however, I ourchased an ecommerece template and I am in over my head. It is a PHP site. I use dreamweaver. I want to see the pages while working from my computer so I can edit them.

I uploaded the site to the internet and I see the site and all the links work fine  ;D however, I can not edit the pages  :-\. I have tried to load several applications on my computer to make the PHP work. I want to start from scratch.

Is there someone willing to help? Or can you lead me to step by step help for a newbie, I am willing, ready and eager to do the work but there is something I am not understanding. ??? Is there a way to see the pages like I do when working in Dreamweaver with HTML files?

I thank you for your time in advance. ;D

#2 cmgmyr

cmgmyr
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 July 2006 - 03:58 PM

Well in order to see php on your local machine you need to set up a "testing server" as dreamweaver calls it. You can do this by installing apache, php, and mysql, or something like xampp which has everything put together for you. http://www.apachefri...g/en/xampp.html there are lots of tutorials online to help you setting up a local server on your pc.

#3 ummzee

ummzee
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 07:26 PM

Thank you for your post. I when to the site you reccommended, downloaded and everything seems to be working find. However, I do not know how to point dreamweaver to the, "test server", no matter what setting (path) I put in it keeps saying it is wrong.

When I downloaded, "XAMPP" I let it go to the default directory (C:\Program Files\xampp) and I did no configuration because it says it does not need it. However Dreamweaver does. My website files are here: C:\ghani_website_test\shop

Can you help me configure Dreamweaver to use the server?

Best regards

#4 cmgmyr

cmgmyr
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 July 2006 - 02:00 AM

You need to put all of your websites in the xampp folder so this website would be C:\Program Files\xampp\ghani_website_test\shop. Under testing server in the site settings you need to set the:
server model to "PHP MySQL"
Access: "Local/Network"
Testing server folder "C:\Program Files\xampp\ghani_website_test\shop" ...same as your local info folder
URL Prefix: http://localhost/gha...bsite_test/shop OR http://localhost:80/...bsite_test/shop OR http://localhost:808...bsite_test/shop depending on which one you configured xampp to be.

Now when you preview a php file it should pop right up in your primary browser.

Let me know if you run into anything else

#5 ummzee

ummzee
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 12:25 PM

Thank you for your response.

I am getting the same message I have gotten since I started:

I am getting error 404(file not found):
“occurred while attempting to request the file http://localhost/gha...x_qf2a1tsah.php from test server.

Here are some possible reasons for the problem:

1)Files in the “C:/Program files/” folder that have “.php” file extension are not being executed by the testing server.
2) The c:/Program Files/” folder does not map to the http://localhost/gha...site_test_shop/ URL on the testing server. Verify that the URL Prefix maps to the root of you site

Would you like to change the location of the testing server?”

I tested with the URL prefix set to: "Localhost80"… and “localhost8080” and recived the same error. I returned the local host back to “localhost/…

Here are the rest of my settings:

Local Information
Local root folder: C:\Program Files\xampp\ghani_website_test\shop\
Default images: C:\Program Files\xampp\ghani_website_test\shop\images\
Refresh local file list and enable cache

Access: Local/Network
Remote folder: C:\Program Files\xampp\ghani_website_test\shop\

Testing Server
Server model: PHP/MySQL
Access: Local/Network
Testing folder: C:\Program Files\
URL Prefix: http://localhost/gha...site_test/shop/

I am not sure if the following is necessary or important. While installing the servive ports for Apache = 80 & 443
MySQL port – 3306

Site Map Layout:
Homepage: C:\Program Files\xampp\ghani_website_test\shop\index.php

The site map home page was first set to "...\index.html" and I changed that to the above and still receive the same message.

Do see anything wrong with these settings?

#6 cmgmyr

cmgmyr
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 03 July 2006 - 02:08 PM

Try changing:

Testing folder: C:\Program Files\

should be C:\Program Files\xampp\ghani_website_test\shop\ ...the same as your local folder

#7 ummzee

ummzee
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:47 AM

Hello again,

I changed the path however, I keep getting the same message. Is there something else I am suppose to besetting up before this will work or should this be the first and only thing, remember this is a ecommerce site. However, all I want to do he is be able to see the pages so I can edit the text and change the pictures from my computer.

Ummzee

#8 cmgmyr

cmgmyr
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:14 PM

I'm not really sure, can you give some screen shots of your configuration and the browser with the error message on it?

I'm sure we are just missing something very small

#9 ummzee

ummzee
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:40 PM

Here are the screen shots.

[attachment deleted by admin]

#10 cmgmyr

cmgmyr
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:43 PM

Try clearing out the remote info and the site map

#11 ummzee

ummzee
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 02:54 PM

Still get error, attached. Should the directory in xampp be pointing directly to the folder with the files in it?

#12 cmgmyr

cmgmyr
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • Advanced Member
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 July 2006 - 03:08 PM

sure, try that

#13 ummzee

ummzee
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 03:23 PM

Didn't help, it goes back to the default of: C:\Program Files\xampp

Since I am new to this please explain: How do people who need to edit .php pages usuallu edit them I can't believe they program the pages and then have to upload them to look at there changes.

Whem I see the code in the pages, unlike html, I do not see the images in the code. I will assume (and will look around at the other files), that they are bing fed into the index pages since will will need to be changed regularly. Like I said, I was able to get the site to work when I up loaded the template, however, it took some work for me to finally get that.

Any other pointers? If I could find a secure ecommerce html site, I would use that but I don't think that would be the way to go if one intends to progress with their online business. the site is located at www.alfurqanonline.com

I still appreciate your help and hope you have more suggestion, I have no problem doing the work!

Ummzee

#14 wildteen88

wildteen88
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 10,482 posts
  • LocationUK, Bournemouth

Posted 04 July 2006 - 05:14 PM

OKay reading the XAMPP site you are supposed to put your files in a folder called htdocs within the xampp folder eg:
C:\program files\xampp\htdocs

Now to test this has worked, by opeing your web browser and typing in the following:
http://localhost/ghani_website_test/

Do you get anything displayed in the web browser?
Also try http://localhost/ on its own too. What do you get?

#15 ummzee

ummzee
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 05:56 PM

Ok, thanks -

I moved the file and then typed: http://localhost/ghani_website_test/

I got the following on the screen:

Index of /ghani_website_test
  Name                    Last modified      Size  Description
  shop/                  02-Jul-2006 15:34    - 

Using:   http://localhost/ takes me to the XAMPP for Windows page

When I select: "shop/", I get the following:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ',' or ';' in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\ghani_website_test\shop\index.php on line 39

When I went back to Dreamweaver, I had to reset the setting to point to the site since I moved it and I received the attached error message, basically the same as before.

I will wait for your response before I do anything else.

#16 wildteen88

wildteen88
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 10,482 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 06:20 PM

Okay every think is now working fine. However this error:
Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting ',' or ';' in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\ghani_website_test\shop\index.php on line 39
Is to do with an error within index.php on line 39. Could you post lines 30 - 40 from index.php here for us to review it for what can be causing this.

#17 ummzee

ummzee
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 08:15 PM

Thank you, I will post tommorow, I have to run out.

#18 ummzee

ummzee
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:03 PM

While I was getting the requested information, the power went off because we are having a large storm here.

When the power returned, the index file was corrupt. I replaced it with the original and now I get this error when I test the site:

FATAL ERROR: register_globals is disabled in php.ini, please enable it!

#19 wildteen88

wildteen88
  • Staff Alumni
  • Advanced Member
  • 10,482 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 10:33 AM

Umm that is asking you to enable an old setting called register_globals which can lead to security vulnerabilities. Could you provide the name of the script you are using?

#20 ummzee

ummzee
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 05:29 PM

I am not sure how to answer this. Remember this is a template that I purchased and I am new to php. Where can I find the information you are requesting? I am wondering why I did not get the orignal error message when I put the site up, it appears to work find on the online server and I see the pages just find.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users