T_OBJECT_OPERATOR

drisate

Hey guys ... i think i am facing a PHP compatibility issue with an open source script. My server is on PHP4 and this script

$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM languages WHERE id = ".ucfirst($langdetect)) or die('Query failed get seasons: ' . mysql_error());
    				$detectedlang = mysql_fetch_object($result)->name;
    				$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM languages WHERE id = $langid") or die('Query failed get seasons: ' . mysql_error());
    				$enteredlang = mysql_fetch_object($result)->name;
					$errormessage .= "You attempted to enter an $detectedlang overview into the $enteredlang overview field. Please pick the correct language and try again. If the language detected is wrong please come to the forums and let us know.<br/>";

is returning

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_OBJECT_OPERATOR in /home/betable/public_html/tv/index.php on line 284

Can you guys help me rephrase the code above?

Your a genious genericnumber1 (sarcastic) lol

My question was "Can you guys help me rephrase the code above?" I new it was a compatibility issue hehe

Why not just look up the functions it uses via php.net and see which is compatible with php 4 and or 5 and the proper usage for each?

mysql_fetch_object

You either need to create a class, and put the results in the class or I would suggest just using mysql_fetch_assoc instead.

$detectedlang = mysql_fetch_assoc($result);
$detectedlang = $detectedlang['name'];

No need to be snippy, I thought it was a good answer :P When you said "a compatibility issue" I assumed you were referring to you conflicting with a script, not that this wasn't your code.

I'll repeat what I said: "don't chain the function to the object operator"

<?php
$detectedlang = mysql_fetch_object($result)->name;
?>

changed to

<?php
$detectedlang = mysql_fetch_object($result);
$detectedlang = $detectedlang->name;
?>

Try to be polite and ask what I mean instead of assuming I didn't answer your question.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.