Search Counts In Multiple fields.

seventheyejosh

Ok, i've never posted an sql question here, so I hope i do this right.

I believe we are running mysql 5.0.

basically, i am making a search module, that will display results based on the occurence of a word.

The problem i am having is searching multiple fields and adding the results.

Basically I want to type in "run" in my search, and have it search my `news_messages` table inside of the `headline` `summary` and `story` and then add all of the results together.

I need this to go through the whole table and give me the stories that have the word "run" in them, in the order of the most occurences through the sum of all three fields.

I've searched, and i haven't found anycode to do this purely with an sql statement, so i was considering just pulling each row out in a while and adding them together, as this would possibly work. However, the larger the site gets, the longer it would take etc.

Any thoughts? thanks in advance. 

in the order of the most occurences through the sum of all three fields.

Not sure exactly what order that would be but after you run your query you just use mysql_num_rows to return the number of results.  I understand you need a query for a search in 3 fields:

headline

summary

story

but I'm lost in what kind of order you want them returned.

Ok basically. If this is a test story:

head - He runs!

sum - Still running!

story- Some guy is running. Still running.

basically i want it to go through the DB when u search for run and see that this story has 4 occurences of %run%. 1 in head 1 in sum and 2 in story. if we have this:

head - He runs!

sum - Still running!

story- Some guy is running. Still running. And running.

there are 5 occurences of %run%, so when the search results were displayed, these storys would both show, except the latter of the two would be first because there are 5 occurcnces as opposed to 4.

so basically it goes through every row of the 'news_messages' table, adding `headline` `summary` and `story` instances of the searched word, then displays all results that have the word at least once, in order of most occurences.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.