Which Bit Rate?

The Little Guy

I agree that overselling is bad, and companies should just straight up say, "Your max is x," but man, it's much worse to be stuck in a host that tells you you have 50MB disk space than psuedo-infinity (that's a fun term...).

My dad knew someone through something or other who does webdesign/hosting, and I'm terrible at design, so we decided to hire him to design/host the site.  His design fee was reasonable (on the edge of over priced in my opinion, since it looks a little dated.  Not like 90s dated.  Just 2-3 years dated), but man does his hosting plan suck.  Suck is actually too good of word for that.

The features, as follow:

-25MB Storage Space

-1 POP3 E-mail Box

-E-mail Forwarding Addresses

-Online Account Management

-24/7 FTP Site Access

-E-mail Support

All for the low price of...

$20/month.  Seriously.  (We actually ended up with 50MB for $23ish/month, I think because when I talked to him on the phone, I was looking in cpanel, and was like "25 megabytes?" in a really weird tone. lol.)

I'll take over sellers over 25MB anyday.

But, if I genuinely wanted unlimited, I would be quite disappointed when my account was suspended for violating the host's ToS.

"I'll give you x, but you can only use y at a time.  Deal?"

On the DreamHost thing, I figured I might share the link to a blog post I made about it: http://degeberg.com/2008/12/dreamhost-to-infinity-and-beyond/

lol... nice blog post Dan.. you can be quite the sh!t disturber, but it is interesting to pin a company up against the proverbial wall with these sort of things. Funny you mentioned youtube hosting.. I started to google this subject (regarding unlimited hosting and fine print) and stumbled upon this post regarding bluehost and the fact that a site hosting over 50GB of media files got shut down..

Indeed, unlimited is an illusion...

P.S If you ever do happen to stumble upon one of those infinite hard drives, do let me know ;)

Infinite files:

<?php
while(TRUE){
     $handle = fopen('file.txt','w');
     fwrite($handle, 'hello');
     fclose($handle);
     unlink('file.txt');
}
?>

Doesn't that continually create and remove the same file?

Infinite files:

<?php
while(TRUE){
     $handle = fopen('file.txt','w');
     fwrite($handle, 'hello');
     fclose($handle);
     unlink('file.txt');
}
?>

Is this hard drive big enough for you?

http://cache.gizmodo.com/archives/images/new_hard_drive.jpg

This will timeout in finite time :P

I'd also like to point out, that because of limited CPU power (and no host promises unlimited CPUs right now), you can't claim infinite disk space in finite time.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.