Lost file really in a panic

rn14

I know this isnt directly related to php but i have spent the last couple of days working on part of a website and I have now overwritten the file on a shared web hosting server using ftp. Does anybody know if it is possible to get this back?

Thanks

If you want to avoid this next time I would suggest setting up a local SVN server on your machine. This will allow you to keep backups etc each time you change the file.

(SVN - SubVersion Control) Tortoise SVN is a free and great SVN tool.

Thanks is there anyway of recovering it except from the webhosting company?

If they kept backups, then they would be able to help you. Chances are they did not if you did not pay extra for it. The short answer is no.

Since you overwritten the file (I am sure) it does not act the same as delete and moves it to a trash bin. My bet is it is lost for good.

It happened on their server. Nothing you can do. There is no remote undelete software or something.

I managed to squish a backup of my database out of my host, even though they supposedly didn't do those copies. So there are some chances... although very slim.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.