Running AJAX

tjmbc

I am clueless about ajax so bear with me... I know that you have to use a "prototype.js" file to run an ajax script, but does your server have to have something to be 'ajax enabled'?

I'm guessing by the file prototype.js file, you are refering to the prototype library, and that is not required for AJAX.

AJAX is entirely client side, so no, your server does not need to be AJAX enabled.  It does help, however, to have your webserver running some form of server-side language so you can process dynamic data with AJAX.

AJAX is entirely client side

Not exactly, Ajax is more a method for client side code to communicate with server-side code in the background. You really need both client-side and server-side.

However, there is no such thing as ajax in particular. It is a methodology not a technology.

AJAX is entirely client side

Not exactly, Ajax is more a method for client side code to communicate with server-side code in the background. You really need both client-side and server-side.

However, there is no such thing as ajax in particular. It is a methodology not a technology.

I guess I was thinking of AJAX the wrong way when I said that it's entirely client side.  When I hear AJAX, I think of the AJAX objects in Javascript, and those are entirely client side.  Also, just because you need client-server for it to do anything useful doesn't mean it isn't only client side.

About the no such thing as AJAX, you are correct with that, and that is why I just assumed he meant the AJAX objects.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.