Modify Displayed URL address after page load?

Jetfire

your web server MUST allow htaccess..

in your domain's home directory

put a file called ".htaccess"

inside of this file put something like..

RewriteEngine on

RewriteRule ^whatever/lol$ file.php?name=whatever&extraInfo=lol

that would redirect to file.php transparently meanwhile maintaining the original request URI in the address bar, there is way more complicated ways to use rewrites but that is an example..

dark water is right

but rly you can't show information without either FORCING DOWNLOAD (which sometimes when unexpected scares away users), or showing a relative path to the file..

you could, however, set up a ticketing system..

when when a user requests the file.. they get sent to a landing zone.. then the landing zone generattes a ticket associated with your IP, or denies them a ticket, depending on what criteria you want.. then when the user requests the file, remove him from the database, and then push him the data.. so that if the user gives out the url

whatever.com/theFile.php?file=howdy.pdf

if I took that from ur server if you require an active ticket.. if I gave that to my friend.. hed get denied because I don't have an active ticket..

its a form of security

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.