OpenBlog

gordon.c

hello

I am looking for some critique of my new blog which allows all users to post not just me which I hate on regular blogs.

www.open-blog.tk

All programmed in PHP/MySql for dynamics used JavaScript. Please dont evaluate the design I admit it is a template I focused more on the system rather then the design... Thank you very much

Well, to start, I think the critique board is more focused on design, so I will comment on that to begin with. The design is fairly simple but works ok.  There is nothing exciting about it, but there is nothing that makes it 'ugly'.  The color choice is ok, but you need a logo.

Now, I really don't understand the concept very much. People create blogs that usually relate to something specific, whether it be web design, their hobby, family, etc.  Who is going to read up on a blog that anyone can randomly blog on?  Does the blog actually focus an any topic?

Why is the site using frames?

No, it's because of the free .tk domain name.  All that .tk does when you get the free ones is put a URL that you tell it into a frame.  It's just so that you have a more memorable URL, theoretically.  Look at the name of the frame in the source:

<frame src="http://mycareerview.com/openblog/" name="dot_tk_frame_content" scrolling="auto" noresize>

Obviously the .tk did that.

• 3 weeks later...

I like the colors a lot. I think the background in the small box (with OpenBlog in it) could do without the gradient and the 'Share your thoughts' could be white instead, but other than that, the colors work great. The only other thing I would suggest is to add the poster's name to the footer of each blog post. That way all of the information (date, time, author, etc) is in the same spot.

As for the frame, I'd suggest making the site frameless (even if it requires paying). Frames can seriously mess up bookmarking. I don't have anything else, so I wish you the best of luck with your site!

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.