[SOLVED] PHP/MySQL confusion

twitch987

in all honesty i thought thats what it did.. i thought the $id was defined for each result, and place into the hidden form field to be passed to updated.php ..i've got a long way to go lol.

that would be brilliant thanks :) its at

http://83.170.107.1/~toxxicst/sqltest/properties.zip

the idea behind the update page was to have it in a password protected directory so not just anyone could use it.. the index page (yet to be styled obviously) is going to be on the website for all visitors to see.. can you think of a way to keep the update process out of the index page?

try uploading the attached zip file to your server. I would then look at the code until you understand it. As far as the password protection you would have to create a login type system and only allow access to that page to certain members. You will have to look into sessions for that kind of functionality.

nevermind that one is wrong. you didn't copy and paste the changes that I told you to. when you set the form you must tell its method to post like this:

<form method="post" action="updated.php">

replace your update.php file with this one.

edit: if you wanted to use the GET method you would set its method to get which puts the variables in the url. That is what it is doing instead of posting them. when data is posted it doesnt pass through the url.

[attachment deleted by admin]

AHA! We're up and running!! Thanks alot man!

I did change the post method when you mentioned it but i edited the online version through my ftp client.. the one i zipped was my old local copy.. sorry i can be dumb sometimes lol.

You've been a brilliant help thanks so much.. anyone else woulda started charging for their time by now lol

I know what it was like when I was a beginner trying to learn the language. If someone would have helped me like I just helped you it would have made it much easier to learn. Thats why I help people out.

Helping is fer newbs.

:) If you really appreciate the help here, donate to the site. Without donations the site may one day disappear!!!

Well i appreciate it alot thanks man. considering i only started trying to learn php yesterday (and hadn't a clue about MySQL) its fair to say i would never have done it without ya

premiso:

"helping is for newbs" Wow i bet that makes ngreenwood feel real appreciated, great speech.

this post has been going for over a day how long have been waiting to say that?

If you really wana inspire people to donate, try be a little more tactful. Calling the people who DO help out newbs will just piss them off, which really will make the site disappear.

Well i appreciate it alot thanks man. considering i only started trying to learn php yesterday (and hadn't a clue about MySQL) its fair to say i would never have done it without ya

premiso:

"helping is for newbs" Wow i bet that makes ngreenwood feel real appreciated, great speech.

this post has been going for over a day how long have been waiting to say that?

If you really wana inspire people to donate, try be a little more tactful. Calling the people who DO help out newbs will just piss them off, which really will make the site disappear.

Wow dude, take a chill pill. Sarcasm...if I really thought helping is fer(notice for spelled wrong) newbs, you would notice I would not have 1,900 posts. Give me some credit for trying to make a joke. Next time I will spell out the sarcasm for you.

Edit:

And it was more of a joke meant for ngreenwood at any rate. I have helped him out many times on the forum and it is nice seeing him paying it forward.

See this post for proof.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.