How much would you charge for a MySQL/PHP web site?

benphp

Generally speaking? I have a client who has 600+ products and wants separate logins for retail/wholesale - which filters out prices. I'm guessing about 4 tables for the products and 2 for the login. He wants full custom design - his design.

Anyone have a ballpark for something like that?

Estimate how long it might take you to build the whole thing, consider time for revisions and changes. Take this number of hours and multiply it by the number of pounds|dolars|euros|whatevers you think an hour of your time is worth. Add any costs of materials, then another x% ontop for a bit of profit.

Nobody can answer this question for you. It might take me more/less time to build it than you, I might think my time is worth more/less than yours, I might demand more/less profit than you.

Thanks! I'm beginning to think that minimums are a good way to go. I was charging per hour, but I think the clients would have been happier with at least some fixed amount, such as a minimum. Maybe I'll go with a minimum, then an hourly rate combo.

We give our clients a fixed price based on our estimation of how long it will take etc. If it gets done quicker, we make more. If not, we loose out. I think people like to know how much things are going to cost.

Just remember that the quote you give is for what you agreed on. If they ask for more then they need to pay more. Make sure you make that clear.

This works the other way around too. If it takes you longer than you expect you can't turn around and charge for more hours.

Just remember that the quote you give is for what you agreed on. If they ask for more then they need to pay more. Make sure you make that clear.

This works the other way around too. If it takes you longer than you expect you can't turn around and charge for more hours.

No, of course not. Not if you gave a fixed price anyway.

Some people think they can just keep adding more and more features after you've begun development and agreed on a fixed price though. In that case the price should be renegotiated.

"Some people think they can just keep adding more and more features after you've begun development and agreed on a fixed price though"

This has been my experience, which is why I've recently moved to an hourly rate. With previous jobs, I was far too generous in allowing the client to modify as we went along - ultimately, it was hardly worth my time.

In the future, I'll go with a set price with solid requirements. Any modifications are extra and hourly. Trouble is, we often get into situations where new code is required due to unforeseen conflicts - and I end up coding-as-we-go.

Pricing is tricky. I wish I had a billing department.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.