ajax popup edit form

Zjoske

On my form i want a button to show a popup edit form that contains a dropdown selection and an edit field. The result of the popup I want to show as text in a div below the button on the parent form.

I've been looking on the web for an example on how to do this but I came up cold. Could anyone give me a code example on how to do what I want?

Thanx, 

Zjoske.

Start with looking for javascript popups.(personally i don't like popups much i use modals instead).

I know you all mean well, to just give me a hint and then to let me figure it all out so I learn something. But i'm an absolute newbie to ajax/javascript and I would much rather have a very simple example that has a popup with text edit and result of popup is shown in div on parent. That way I can figure out the rest for myself. I tried google but all I got were examples that only a dialog not a form with edit controls in it.

Just yesterday i read this blog on phpfreaks(normally i just go straight to the forum and dont bother with the other content).

And when I was finished reading it I thought to myself. That article is so true. Please read it http://www.phpfreaks.com/blog/learning-to-think-like-a-programmer

It will give you a better understanding why most people here react the way they do

Nice article and I understand the point. However it is mostly a time constraint on anything we do. So it may not be always possible to go through the process of trying to figure out what the correct questions for a given problem to break it down. But with a good example you have the basics of what you need so you only need to research the extra (special) stuff you want to do. This saves up valuable time that can be used to deliver a project on time (or on ones family also a noble cause).

Nice article and I understand the point. However it is mostly a time constraint on anything we do. So it may not be always possible to go through the process of trying to figure out what the correct questions for a given problem to break it down. But with a good example you have the basics of what you need so you only need to research the extra (special) stuff you want to do. This saves up valuable time that can be used to deliver a project on time (or on ones family also a noble cause).

Honestly, you cannot really expect people to write code for you. Especially here people like to see others actually try. There is an AJAX/JScript forum that can be searched, you can look up jQuery, which a framework that makes AJAX really nice.

If you are on a time constraint, pay someone who knows how to do it. Simple as that. If you want to learn, well there are tons of examples online already made, it is a matter of finding them. Sorry if that is harsh, but that is life. If you cannot do it yourself, you either learn it or pay someone.

Look into jQuery there are probably plenty of examples already made for you and it is a very nice framework. And to be honest, it is like that old story, "You give a mouse a cookie." If we write this popup code for you, next you are going to want us to show you how to get that value in php, then show you how to use that value and put it in a DB. If we did this for everyone on this site, for free none the less, no one would learn anything and we would be working for free instead of just helping.

Hope you can understand that.

So you know, we are always willing to help someone who is willing to try to do their own work and has code to show for it.

Well said. Reasonable, but on point.

I am more than happy to help people with code they are having troubles with (its what I do!), but I'm not willing to write code for people (without getting paid that is). Many people helped me when I was learning (and for that matter, still help me now!), and I'm a firm believer in karma, so I'm happy to repay the favor, even if it's not the same people who have helped me.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.