[SOLVED] Sort Working Incorrectly

I have a table with numerous numbers in it, and I try to sort it so that the largest numbers are at the top, and the lowest at the bottom.  However, it sorts it like this:

Instead of going from largest to smallest.

This is the mysql I have right now:

select IP,total from visitor_data_ip order by TOTAL desc

What mysql would do what I want?  Thanks a lot.

what datatype is TOTAL? because you probably have it as a string type (like VARCHAR) and it should be a numeric type (like INT). you can cast it as an integer when sorting, but it's better to change it to the proper data type

Definitely not a numeric column type, that's for certain.

I have no idea what I was thinking when I made it varchar...now it works.

Thanks a lot.

Make the column BIGINT with a value of 10

I just made it int(30), because that is as big as it will be.  Thanks, though.

I just made it int(30), because that is as big as it will be.  Thanks, though.

The most digits (in base 10 representation) that an integer will ever have is 10.

Just to clarify, in case googling didn't tell you, dreamwest, the length is really quite pointless unless you're doing zerofill.  A bigint is still x bits and an int is still y bits, no matter what length you tell it.

The most digits (in base 10 representation) that an integer will ever have is 10.

Just to clarify, in case googling didn't tell you, dreamwest, the length is really quite pointless unless you're doing zerofill.  A bigint is still x bits and an int is still y bits, no matter what length you tell it.

Ah.  Thanks.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.