Making download/upload faster?

Terrum

I still am an idiot when it comes to apache configuration, I'm fine with everything else.

But i'm wondering how do I make it so the download and upload is faster on my http apache server? Everyone only gets around 50kb/s even when they live very close to me. Is there a setting? Thanks.

Note: I do know i have the correct internet speed and ISP to make this faster, So no questions/warnings about that, Just to save you time. Thanks :) (I have high internet connection, speed test image below)

speedtestso5.png

486kb/s is only 60.75KB/s, which is very slow in the big scheme of things.

By default, Apache shouldn't be limiting your upload speed, so unless it's on their end, it's your connection.  Also, your speed is of course split between everyone.  If there are 5 people on at a time, they will each get around 12KB/s.

(You could of course have a router setting or something, but I doubt that's it.)

My upload isn't shared.

By default, Apache shouldn't be limiting your upload speed, so unless it's on their end, it's your connection.  Also, your speed is of course split between everyone.  If there are 5 people on at a time, they will each get around 12KB/s.

(You could of course have a router setting or something, but I doubt that's it.)

My upload isn't shared. I use all this on one PC, no router, It's directly connected to the modem.

And even if apache doesn't limit it by default, is there still a way to find out how to limit it or weather it is limiting it with a configuration?

And even if apache doesn't limit it by default, is there still a way to find out how to limit it or weather it is limiting it with a configuration?

You would most likely be using a 3rd party extension to do so, and you would know if you installed it.  lol.

If I had to guess, I would just say your connection is slow.

You would most likely be using a 3rd party extension to do so, and you would know if you installed it.  lol.

If I had to guess, I would just say your connection is slow.

Well just incase my installation had a config in it what limits the speed, I guess no one on this forum is going to help me with my question then which i expected a simple answer for just to find out how to change the limits etc (even if i might have wanted it limited) But if you wont give straight answers then i'll ask elsewhere then.

If you do have something installed in Apache, do as corbin suggested and examine your httpd.conf to see what extensions are being loaded. The most likely candidate is mod_throttle, depending on what operating system you are using.

Edit: A couple other possible choices - mod_bwshare, mod_bandwitdh

My upload isn't shared.

My upload isn't shared. I use all this on one PC, no router, It's directly connected to the modem.

So you are running this test via a local machine right? Your cable company sets limits on how much you can upload and download. If you are throttled at 60KBps upload, you will not be able to configure apache to be faster. Simple dynamics of the internet. Your download may be 700KB/sec, but the upload is not near that.

Also remember that the more users who use that site the slower the connection is going to be. So if say 4 users are downloading from you, I doubt that they would get more than 15-20KB/sec download.

In that speed test, 486kbps is kilobits per second, not KiloBytes, that is roughly 48.6KiloBytes per second, not that fast at all. Most production webservers use T3 or greater lines (it is probably better than T3 now, but I am not sure of the technical term, so T3 will work), which have the capability to handle that and push data out at 100mbps+ from their server to multiple users. You may be at 10mbps on download but are only at .4mbps on your upload.

Learn the basics of the internet, a normal household connection can not actively run a site that has alot of users due to this. That is why there are servers out there and they cost a lot of money per month. Just to put this in perspective here is how stuff is layed out:

***NOTE the lowercase kb and the upper case KB same with mb and MB, there is a difference)

1kbps = 1 kilobit

1KBps = 1 KiloByte (1,000 kb)

1mbps = 1 megabit (100,000 kb or 100KB)

1MBps = 1 MegaByte (1,000 KB)

etc. So looking at that speed report, you have a nice download (1MBps), which works if users are uploading to you. They should not have a problem with that. But them retrieving files from your server (46KBps) is very slow and that maxes their speed, and each user that connects to download from you take that and divide it in half.

Hope that helps you understand, but as I said, this is internet basics. You should read up on it.

EDIT:

And a simple search of the terms "apache limit bandwidth" in google pulled up this result:

http://www.whoopis.com/howtos/web-bandwidth-limit.html

EDIT:

I am not claiming that the text above is 100% correct, but it is more just to give you an idea of what is going on, as stated above for the correct lingo etc do the research.

Errrr....  Premiso, generally, the scale is by 1024, not 1000.

(Although some people say kb = 1000b, Kb = 1024b.)

Yea, I know. But for the purpose of easy understanding it is better to leave the 24 off imo :) People do better with round numbers for some weird reason lol.

In that speed test, 486kbps is kilobits per second, not KiloBytes, that is roughly 48.6KiloBytes per second,

When ever you get into the higher numbers, it can make a difference:

486/10 = 48.6

486/8 = 60.75

% Error: 20

(That was 8 instead of 10, but same concept.)

But I'm just being picky now ;p.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.