Decent Development IDE/Compiler for Linux

proggR

I'm switching everything over to openSuSE right now (mainly because it botched my Windows install and my disks are in a different location so I have no choice at the moment). I'm in a C++ class that uses Borland C++ at the school and I've been using Dev C++ at home. Can anyone let me know of any other IDEs that would offer similar features as those two for Linux? I've been trying KDevelop but it doesn't seem to compile from the program which is fine but then when I try using gcc from a terminal it doesn't actually read in my headers or anything like that.

At anyrate, it would be nice to have a development suite that has a debugger and compiler included so I can just push a few buttons to test my code when I'm done. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

install the g++ package

You dont NEED and IDE. Ok? The faster you learn that the better.

When I was learning c++ I coded a simple ide in python.

So I had a text editor that had a "compile" button basically.

Took a very short time to make, and I ended up just using gedit.

On suse, just use kedit (if your running kde which you probably are).

Command line for c++ is going to be "g++ -wal file.c -o output.bin"

Syntax may be a bit off, but just use "man g++" and you'll figure it out.

You dont NEED and IDE. Ok? The faster you learn that the better.

Maybe for small scale projects.  But for anything larger you will need an IDE that has all the features or else you will never get anything done.  Don't get me wrong, I use VIM and Gedit all the time for small edits and modifications but when you're building something like a large scale J2EE web application you will need a solid IDE.

Maybe this is just my opinion, but in my experience this has always proved to be true.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.