[SOLVED] Integrals

Daniel0

Heh, I read your question and thought "it's just the fundamental theorem of calculus..." until I realized the information given.

"a second degree polynomial f(x)=ax2+bx+c where a=-5 and f(x)=-3 and f(x)=-2."

Wha? Maybe if they gave you f'(x) and/or f''(x)...

Tell us when you find out the method of solving for b and c, I'm curious :D

This is strange task... I mean... what are f(x)=-3 and f(x)=-2 supposed to mean?

It was just the way I decided to write that the roots of f(x) are -3 and -2. It wasn't worded that way in the assignment. That's false of course - no function can have two outputs. I meant to say that -3 and -2 satisfies f(x)=0.

Anyway, it turned out to be rather simple. I forgot that for a second degree polynomial where x1 and x2 are roots it's true that f(x)=ax2+bx+c=a(x-x1)(x-x2) so with that information it's just a matter of integrating -5(x+3)(x+2).

It's not too difficult. The book tricked me though. The question mentioned above wasn't really about calculus even though it was along with a lot of other questions about integrals, it was checking that I knew WTF factorization was, which I of course had forgotten.

Ah. At our written exams we have 1 hour without aids and 4 hours with all aids excluding communication with other people (thus also excluding internet). At oral exams they mostly just want us to be able to do proofs and possibly apply knowledge about a particular area of mathematics. Regular homework is usually also with aids.

The following is an example of a one of the tasks that might be at an exam at B level math (out of A, B, C, where A is highest and C is lowest):

A company manufactures a product. The costs C(x) of manufacturing said product at x tons per week is given by: C(x)=x3-30x2+500x+30 where C(x) is expressed in a currency that is irrelevant in this matter. The manufactured amount of products can be sold at a fixed price of 308/ton.

Determine the amount of tons the company must manufacture per week in order to maximize profit.

hall.jpg

The figure shows the end of a parabola shaped hall.

a) Insert the figure on a suitable coordinate system.

b) Calculate the area of the figure.

Dunno if that's more complex than whatever you're given.

The curriculum ranges over multiple subjects such as functions and graphs, statistics, trigonometry, differentiation, integration, etc.

Ah, so you're in a kind of mixed-math class? I'm in an "Engineering Math" class, (basically, differentiation and integration calculus) whose problems (so far) are consisting of determining volumes of solids through integration, calculating work, etc. Probably much easier than the kind of stuff you have to deal with.

Something like...

A wedge is cut out of a circular cylinder of radius 4 by two planes. One plane is perpendicular to the axis of the cylinder. The other intersects the first at an angle of 30 degrees along a diameter of the cylinder. Find the volume of the wedge.

Yes, I'm in this kind of school. I think in Denmark that math courses aren't divided into specialized topics until university. I mentioned previously that math in my kind of school are split in A/B/C and that I have B. I'm going to study computer science and for that I'll need A which, in addition to everything C and B encompass, covers (by looking at the TOC for the textbook in the series we use, but for A level) vectors and analytical geometry, infinitesimals, and differential equations. For computer science on the university it appears that in addition to that, the courses "discrete mathematical structures" and "linear algebra" are required. Then there are of course even more advanced math depending on what courses you choose (e.g. cryptology or stuff dealing with images or sound).

Yeah, it's the same deal with my college..

So-called "Engineering Math (calculus) 1, 2 and 3", Linear Algebra and statistics. The computer science department here has their own Discrete Structures course though, so thankfully I can learn it in the context I will use it. One more math class and computer science majors can easily minor in math here.

And hey, Denmark, a country that produces someone like Stroustrup should be a great place to take computer science.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.