New website template

waynewex

Not much there to evaluate...

Colors are nice.

Center the footer.

Nice space usage.

Good job keeping it clean and simple.

Yea, I'm having a think about the actual content at the moment. I'll probably give the footer a little bit more attention then.

Wayne, I like it. Clean and simple.

Some notes, and one question later one..

The notes:

You don't have a mouse hover colour change on your links? Perhaps white or bright orange (to compliment the blue theme)?

You don't seem to have any 'generic' SEO in your header that you can modify later on on a page-per-page basis (blank description meta tags for instance).

As for the question, do you build your page out of modular include files? Reason for asking is that if you need to make changes to say the top menu (add another link, or subtract one by example), it can be done in say a topmenu.inc.php kind of file and see the changes propogate sitewide, as opposed to embedding menus, footers and the like directly into the (x)html file (which would be a nightmare to upkeep).

As Maq mentioned.. not much to comment on.. but looks like a good clean start to be sure.

I *think* that typically, the copyright symbol in the footer is followed by the year first, then the name (at least, this is the format I see most of the time). It's a minor thing that probably doesn't amount to much.. just looks odd to see the name come before the year (which in itself, the year can be dynamically generated in PHP so that it is upkept..grabbing the year from date(), if ($year == 2009) { echo $year } else { echo 2009-$year } kind of thing...

Thanks nrg.

At the moment, I'm just mocking it up in a html file. When I'm happy with the result, I'll split it up into include files just to make things easier on myself. The meta tags will also be touched upon then, when I start to create each individual page etc.

The links do have a rollover effect, althoughbeit a very small one. I'll have to make a change to that as it's something I've noticed myself. Maybe I'll make it a lighter grey or white.

Also, thanks for the tip on the copyright!

Thanks nrg.

At the moment, I'm just mocking it up in a html file. When I'm happy with the result, I'll split it up into include files just to make things easier on myself. The meta tags will also be touched upon then, when I start to create each individual page etc.

Oh.. I knew that! I knew that you knew that I knew that.. just testin' ya ;)

The links do have a rollover effect, althoughbeit a very small one. I'll have to make a change to that as it's something I've noticed myself. Maybe I'll make it a lighter grey or white.

I see.. I had to revisit the site and see the hover effect.. Truth be told, I had not noticed it's subtlety. Definitely a much lighter grey or white would stand out more.

Also, thanks for the tip on the copyright!

You're welcome :)

I see.. I had to revisit the site and see the hover effect.. Truth be told, I had not noticed it's subtlety. Definitely a much lighter grey or white would stand out more.

Hmm, I still don't notice it, maybe it's just me  :-\  Anyway, you should make it more visible.

I agree with nrg, it's a good start for your site.

The thing I really don't like is that the footer just seems to be lost.  I think in this situation a sticky footer would work best.  Also this is nitpicking but if you are going to define a fixed height then the text should be vertically aligned center.  There isn't much else to critique at the moment.  At this point I think you should have at least considered a rollover for the menu.  I also think you need to add some contrast, blue on blue just doesn't cut it.

This thread is more than a year old. Please don't revive it unless you have something important to add.